Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc......... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tip-toe-through-hexagons-cutie-style-layout-etc-t36954.html)

Piedmont Quilter 03-15-2010 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by amma

Originally Posted by Piedmont Quilter
Finally got around to laying out my blocks. Don't know if you can tell anything from the pictures (hope you can). Anyone see any changes I need to make? Not sure what I'm going to do about the boarder - thinking of black and olive green strips to pick up the green in some of the leaves.

Ooooo I love your quilt top!!! :D:D:D Very Pretty!!!! :D:D:D
The only blocks that caught my eye to move are the two with the golds in the bottom center of the picture...

I agree ~ any idea where I should move them to?

CAROLJ 03-15-2010 03:19 PM

The colors of the cubes are fantastic, they will make the quilt pop!

Piedmont, the olive green and black will look stunning. I like it when you can see a bit of the original fabric, it adds interest to the quilt. It would nice to see a strip of it in the border or at least on the back.

amma 03-15-2010 03:24 PM

Maybe move them more towards some that are similar? This is the hardest part for me... trying to get the last few in place :D:D:D

amma 03-15-2010 03:37 PM

Star, if you pressed your seams to the side my picture may not be as helpful. The tip on the left would still extend out 1/4", and then you would match two of the tips on the right depending on which direction you pressed your seams on whether it will be the outer or inner points.

These gave me a fit too... maybe if it sits off and simmers for a while, you can come back to it and it will all be more clear :wink: It just may need a time out!!!

Piedmont Quilter 03-15-2010 03:59 PM

Carol ~ have been playing with the idea of using some of the original fabric in the border. Think it will be too busy for the backing.

Amma ~ got a headache trying to move blocks around. Put it up for the night - will look at it again tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions!!

buffy2 03-15-2010 05:13 PM

Piedmont Quilter. Your quilt is Beautiful .I love the colors.
Bill's Wife The cubes are great. I will have to try them after I get my quilt top finished

fireworkslover 03-15-2010 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
Okay for some reason I couldn't get the photo rotated the right way in here, but if you start here you'll see what I mean about lining things up (just click on the next pics in my stream, there are 4).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2804638...n/photostream/

The first photo you can see the ear of the bottom triangle up to the left. If you line the top triangle to the edge of the triangle, you won't ling up when sewn.

The second picture shows how I am opening the seam up on the back so I can see the whole edge of the triangle, then I line up the top triangle with this. I hope this makes sense!

Rachel

I've always pressed my seam allowances open, so I haven't had this problem,since I could match up the corners. Can you go back and press those seams open? (before you try to sew them into strips).

fireworkslover 03-15-2010 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by billswife99
I spent all day Sunday working on these cubes. I'm a slow learner. :roll: I finally wound up drawing my own pattern out and using that. It still isn't the skinny cubes I was looking for but they will have to do for now. The first one took about 6 hours, stop laughing, and the second one only took a half hour. I think I will try 3 or 4 more and then try some sashing too. The flash made the purple a bit bright.

Oooooh I love your cubes! The first one (of anything) always takes way longer to do and the next one is done in a flash! I've yet to tackle cubes, but have thought how insane would it be to do a whole quilt in only cubes?!

fireworkslover 03-15-2010 05:25 PM

Piedmont Quilter
Your red/black quilt is gorgeous! I agree with your thoughts for the borders. I think you've enough red/pink in there, you wouldn't need to bring that color out to the edge in a narrow border. I really like it all - no changes to your arrangement.

fireworkslover 03-15-2010 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by amma

Finally got around to laying out my blocks. Don't know if you can tell anything from the pictures (hope you can). Anyone see any changes I need to make? Not sure what I'm going to do about the boarder - thinking of black and olive green strips to pick up the green in some of the leaves.

Ooooo I love your quilt top!!! :D:D:D Very Pretty!!!! :D:D:D
The only blocks that caught my eye to move are the two with the golds in the bottom center of the picture...

I agree ~ any idea where I should move them to?

Perhaps move them next to others of that same color. Aren't there some towards the top (opposite from where they are now)?