Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tips Topic (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tips-topic-t115861.html)

arizonagirl 04-14-2011 12:50 PM

I use the little ziplock baggies that the walgreens pharmacy put perscripttions in to hold paper piecing patterns, small useable picece of fusible web, block piecing prior to sewing, I also will roll a bag down and use it to put thread in when ripping out a seam.

patski 04-14-2011 12:50 PM

I used the clear film sold in Joanns but some use glue dots on the back of rulers. Funny thing I've noticed, its' us "shorties" with smaller hands that have the most trouble! Watch other quilters and you'll notice it!

Kitsie 04-14-2011 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by patski
I used the clear film sold in Joanns but some use glue dots on the back of rulers. Funny thing I've noticed, its' us "shorties" with smaller hands that have the most trouble! Watch other quilters and you'll notice it!

Aah! You may be onto something with the small hands!
Don't think I could ever play piano, either!

overdew 04-14-2011 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead
I had this in another place, but I think it goes better under Tips
The way I thread my needles-----
Cut thread, blunt cut making sure there are no wild threads.
Hold the thread between your thumb and forefinger, now pull the thread down from the bottom until there is only a slight dot of thread showing.
Set the eye of the needle down on the dot,
BARELY roll your thumb and finger open while setting the eye down on the thread, now roll your thumb and finger UP, catching the thread. As you pull the thread up, you pull the needle down and I bet you the needle will be threaded. I've done it so many times I don't even have to look. lol
No poking at the eye four or five time.
Syl

Works for me! Thanks! Will think of you often and smile!!!

Kappy 04-14-2011 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
Honestly, the best tip is to read this board. No kidding!

Sometimes I don't get all of them read! LOL And if more than one day goes by, well then..., I miss too many of them. A tip section would be good thing.

Kappy 04-14-2011 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by vtretire
I roll my binding strip onto an empty toilet paper roll and just stick a pin in it to stop it from unrolling if I'm not going to use it right away.

Also when I do sew on my binding I pass a ribbon through the toilet paper roll and tie it around my neck. As I'm sewing the binding strip rolls off the tp roll and doesn't get tangled on the floor or twisted around.

What a good idea!

LAB55 04-14-2011 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Great idea! I save all my lids, like coffee, ect, to make plastic templates.

I do the same thing !! :D :thumbup: :thumbup:

tmjennings 04-14-2011 02:46 PM

I guess I am dense--I don't understand the threading post

g-maquilts 04-14-2011 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sunny580
I keep a scrap of fleece to put cut threads on. Threads really cling to it and you can just wipe up area.

That's really a good idea. Scraps and threads are a big problem for me

g-maquilts 04-14-2011 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by susanwilley

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
To make threading the needle in your sewing machine easier, put a white piece of paper behind the eye. For some reason this makes the eye stand out.

Thanks for this tip. I'll be trying that ASAP! I have the worse time threading thaat needle and I can't seem to get the auto threader to work for me.

Sometimes the auto threader thingy on your machine gets out of line, I just tug on mine a little and it works again. I wasn't worried about breaking it because it didn't work anyway