Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tips Topic (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tips-topic-t115861.html)

DonnaCee 04-13-2011 12:04 PM

Is it possible to start a "tips" thread? I'm sure there are thousand of useful quilting tips out there. Think of all we could learn. I'll start with one.
Use an inexpensive letter/file holder from Staples or even the dollar store to hold your rulers.

LoriEl 04-13-2011 12:12 PM

That's so funny b/c I had almost that exact thought today myself! I think that is a great idea! I was thinking along the lines of a tip section so each tip could have it's own thread!

My tip: When mailing only a block or two, wrap them around an empty paper towel roll so there will be no set in fold marks. I even use wrapping paper tubes to wrap my quilt tops on-even if there is still wrapping on them sometimes!

CarrieAnne 04-13-2011 12:13 PM

Great idea! I save all my lids, like coffee, ect, to make plastic templates.

jljack 04-13-2011 12:15 PM

I use one of those magnetic screw holders for car mechanics on my work/cutting table for miscellaneous pins, my pencil sharpener, etc. It "catches" the pins so that they don't end up rolling under my fabric when I am measuring and cutting. A pin cushion just didn't seem to do a good job for me...I kept missing it!! :-)

BeeNana 04-13-2011 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by LoriEl
That's so funny b/c I had almost that exact thought today myself! I think that is a great idea! I was thinking along the lines of a tip section so each tip could have it's own thread!

My tip: When mailing only a block or two, wrap them around an empty paper towel roll so there will be no set in fold marks. I even use wrapping paper tubes to wrap my quilt tops on-even if there is still wrapping on them sometimes!

You can also use pool noodles.......pins will stick into as well.

DebraK 04-13-2011 12:26 PM

It's been done a few times. It always seems to peter out.

kraftykimberly 04-13-2011 12:29 PM

My tip is to give in and just stop sewing at 3:00 in the morning if your eyes are watering from eye strain from sewing away all day. I say that because it is possible you might incorporate part of your clothing ensemble into your project. Ask me how I know :-)

new2q 04-13-2011 12:34 PM

GREAT IDEA!!!!! I need all of the tips I can get......Sorry too new to have any of my own tips to share

whinnytoo 04-13-2011 12:41 PM

Use those foam thingys to keep toes apart for pedicures to hold bobbins from unrolling and it also keeps them secure

SuzyQ 04-13-2011 12:41 PM

I glued a piece of fine grit sandpaper to a small cutting mat and use that when I'm marking small pieces for applique ... it keeps the fabric from sliding around.

I use painters tape or masking tape to mark the lines on my ruler.

I also use masking tape or painters tape to mark straight lines when I'm machine quilting using a walking foot.

Susan