Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tips Topic (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tips-topic-t115861.html)

QuiltE 04-13-2011 02:30 PM

The little white canisters that bulk chewing gum comes in ... works perfect for storing "sharps" ie our rotary blades, broken needles, bent pins.

Also, for lots of other storage purposes.

TonnieLoree 04-13-2011 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Elisabethann

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Spray shiny rulers with Minwax Polyurethane Clear Satin (or equivalent) to stop glare on surface of ruler from overhead lights.

Great suggestion!

Hint wanted ...
**How do you make the rulers/squares etc. less slippery?
Please? and Thanks!

They make sandpaper dots just for this! They recommend NOT using them on silk and satin types of fabrics otherwise the dots might snag the fabric. I found them in my quilting section at Joann's

I found them at the Dollar store. ;-)

TonnieLoree 04-13-2011 02:54 PM

To make threading the needle in your sewing machine easier, put a white piece of paper behind the eye. For some reason this makes the eye stand out.

susanwilley 04-13-2011 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
To make threading the needle in your sewing machine easier, put a white piece of paper behind the eye. For some reason this makes the eye stand out.

Thanks for this tip. I'll be trying that ASAP! I have the worse time threading thaat needle and I can't seem to get the auto threader to work for me.

emerald46 04-13-2011 03:38 PM

Me, too winnytoo and ThreadHead. Everyone is always so amazed that it works like a charm!

GrannieAnnie 04-13-2011 03:42 PM

Keep one of the sticky lint rollers nearby. It's great for picking up little snippets of thread. AND it great for pulling out the tiny bits of thread when you have to rip out a seam.

GrannieAnnie 04-13-2011 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by kraftykimberly
My tip is to give in and just stop sewing at 3:00 in the morning if your eyes are watering from eye strain from sewing away all day. I say that because it is possible you might incorporate part of your clothing ensemble into your project. Ask me how I know :-)

LOL, do we need a stupidest mistake list, too? I've not done that yet, but I've sewed other fabric into a seam when I'm not being neat.

peacebypiece 04-13-2011 03:59 PM

Minimize slipping of a shiny new ruler....very lightly spray the back side of the ruler with basting spray. Let dry a few minutes. At first it will want to stick to the fabric you are cutting, but after a few uses it will behave. Use isoprople alcohol to clean off the spray from the ruler if you really feel the need to .

ThreadHead 04-13-2011 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree

I painted behind the needle eye with white-out about three years ago and it's still there.
Yes, anything white behind it works.

Marge L. 04-13-2011 05:16 PM

When threading a needle w/ clear thread, darken the end w/ a black felt tip pen. Makes the end easier to see when threading. Also, one can hold a small piece of light paper behind the needle. Makes the hole of the needle easier to see. Marge L.