Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tips Topic (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tips-topic-t115861.html)

yellowsnow55 04-13-2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by kraftykimberly
My tip is to give in and just stop sewing at 3:00 in the morning if your eyes are watering from eye strain from sewing away all day. I say that because it is possible you might incorporate part of your clothing ensemble into your project. Ask me how I know :-)

You too? :D

Kitsie 04-13-2011 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by peacebypiece
Minimize slipping of a shiny new ruler....very lightly spray the back side of the ruler with basting spray. Let dry a few minutes. At first it will want to stick to the fabric you are cutting, but after a few uses it will behave. Use isoprople alcohol to clean off the spray from the ruler if you really feel the need to .

But is it effective for very long?

QuiltE 04-13-2011 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie

Originally Posted by peacebypiece
Minimize slipping of a shiny new ruler....very lightly spray the back side of the ruler with basting spray. Let dry a few minutes. At first it will want to stick to the fabric you are cutting, but after a few uses it will behave. Use isoprople alcohol to clean off the spray from the ruler if you really feel the need to .

But is it effective for very long?

I'm intrigued by this, but skeptical the sticky-ness may get on the fabric.

Would like to hear more from the OP about this.

DonnaCee 04-14-2011 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Spray shiny rulers with Minwax Polyurethane Clear Satin (or equivalent) to stop glare on surface of ruler from overhead lights.

Great suggestion!

Hint wanted ...
**How do you make the rulers/squares etc. less slippery?
Please? and Thanks!

Kitsie, for your slipperly rulers, the dollar stores sell little sheets of rough disks. I think you use them under things to keep them from sliding. I put 5 of them on my rulers and no more slipping. I know I'm not discribing them well but it's 5AM and my brain isn't in gear yet.

sew_itnow 04-14-2011 03:03 AM

Also to make it easier to thread your needle (hand or machine) wet the eye of the needle instead of the thread

sewrkristy 04-14-2011 03:27 AM

This is such a great idea. how do you keep your rulers from slipping.

Marion Jean 04-14-2011 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by kraftykimberly
My tip is to give in and just stop sewing at 3:00 in the morning if your eyes are watering from eye strain from sewing away all day. I say that because it is possible you might incorporate part of your clothing ensemble into your project. Ask me how I know :-)

Been there, done that :)

quilt queen 04-14-2011 03:34 AM

These tips are great!!!I think this a wonderful topic, I'vs learned so much today. Thank you all.

homebody323 04-14-2011 03:34 AM

My favorite tip - when making a quilt, make the binding when you cut the pieces. Put the ready for quilting back on a hanger that has a cardboard cover (used for comforters at the cleaners) then use a old style no clip clothes pin and slip one end of your binding through the center. Place the fabric and pin on the table (open end of the pin down) and spin your binding like a jelly roll. When finished slip it off the pin and put in a sandwich bag, seal and snip a small hole in the center of the top edge. Hang over the hanger neck. Now everything is ready to go the second you finish the top and you are sure you won't use the binding material for something else by accident.

SueDor 04-14-2011 03:36 AM

My tip is to read the quilting board everyday for tips.