Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tonight was a hard night.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tonight-hard-night-t24008.html)

ginnie6 08-10-2009 05:34 PM

tonight I went to the visitation for the 21yo son of a friend. He was killed in a motorcycle wreck this weekend. I feel so bad for her ...I can't even begin to imagine. I'd like to in a couple of weeks get in touch with her and get some of his clothing and make her a quilt. Has anyone done this and any patterns recommended? I'm thinking lap quilt size.

mountain-moma 08-10-2009 06:11 PM

I'm so sorry for her loss i started a lap quilt after my Dad pass away but to this day i still just can't seem to bring myself to it yet i was making it out of his PJ's i sent my prayers to your friend

earthwalker 08-10-2009 07:00 PM

It is always so tragic to lose someone so young. I think your idea of a memory quilt is a beautiful idea, I am sure whatever design you incorporate it will be very treasured.

Jim's Gem 08-10-2009 07:17 PM

I am sorry for your and her loss. 21 is way to young to die!! What a wonderful idea to make her a quilt with some of his clothing.

Shemjo 08-10-2009 07:22 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about young people having these kinds of fatal accidents. I agree that the memory quilt sounds like a loving thing to do.

BlueChicken 08-10-2009 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My condolences too.... what a terrible thing to be going through.

The memory quilt is an awesome idea. I have made two, for my niece and nephew, when their dad died a couple of years ago. It's difficult to make, emotionally, but relatively simple as far as technique goes. Use an iron on stabiliser on the fabrics before you cut them up (I used a product called violene (sp?) that you normally iron on for interfacing) and then simply cut the fabrics as per normal. I think simple patterns work best, minimal handling of the pieces and less bulk for the seams.

My only caution would be about when to mention the possibility of doing it. Some people find the idea of a quilt made out of a dead person's clothes quite morbid and upsetting, and it's possible to suggest it too soon. But it's such a perfect way to deal with their clothes... my nephew was just 7 when I gave him his quilt, and he said "it's like having daddy's arms around me". At the same time, it can be thrown across the back of the couch and the average person would have no idea of the significance, so it's not an over the top memorial.

My nephews quilt, made from his dad's shirts and rugby jerseys. I kept the design very simple, but it's still effective.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]44373[/ATTACH]

sharon b 08-10-2009 07:58 PM

So sorry for your loss and the family. 21 Is way to young and every day I read about more and more of the young ones passing one, kinda scary. The memory quilt is a great idea . Maybe approach the subject gently and see how the family feels .
Sharon

amma 08-10-2009 08:01 PM

I am so sorry!!! That is so young!!!
I agree with what Bluechicken wrote.....

Quiltntime 08-10-2009 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
tonight I went to the visitation for the 21yo son of a friend. He was killed in a motorcycle wreck this weekend. I feel so bad for her ...I can't even begin to imagine. I'd like to in a couple of weeks get in touch with her and get some of his clothing and make her a quilt. Has anyone done this and any patterns recommended? I'm thinking lap quilt size.

Very sorry to hear about your friend's son. What a terrible tragedy!

Cindy Casciato's Block Explosion book has a quilt pattern which was cut from flannel shirts of the friend's grandfather, with 4 photos of the grandfather in the middle of the quilt. You can make it either by a wall hanging or a lap quilt. JoAnn carries this book.

reneebobby 08-11-2009 03:44 AM

Very sorry for your friends loss. I know you will find the perfect quilt for the clothing you recieve.