Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tonight I discovered fat quarters are different than 1/4 yards (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tonight-i-discovered-fat-quarters-different-than-1-4-yards-t119039.html)

sueisallaboutquilts 04-26-2011 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
Well, take heart....there are alot of people out there that have had that moment of not knowing.....AND, there may even be more uncertainty about a fat 1/8th.
I always thought a fat 1/8th was 18X11...what do you all say?

I say that's too much math. I just call them scraps.

HAHAHAHAHA love this!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Happy Treadler 04-26-2011 04:39 PM

Funny thing is, I've been quilting for 12 years and I'm just learning this now. But I'm happy I learned something new!

JenJen224 04-26-2011 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts

Well, take heart....there are alot of people out there that have had that moment of not knowing.....AND, there may even be more uncertainty about a fat 1/8th.

HAHAHAHAHA love this!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Me too :D

Jingle 04-26-2011 04:49 PM

I have seen the measurements for quarters but, I never buy them. Never owned one. I just buy yardage, my Daughter buys all lots of them and less yardage. If I wanted to cut them, I would just call her. Considered cheating I suppose but, thats what I would do.

TonnieLoree 04-26-2011 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree

Originally Posted by bluteddi
its so confusing

Not really. A fat quarter is a length of fabric cut at 18" then cut in half at the fold making 2 FQ's. A quarter yard is 9" in length cut width to width. :D

OK, I'm happy I made myself look like an idiot for a purpose - to educate other. :mrgreen: ha ha. SO, you actually get two fat quarters out of 1/4 yard, am I correct?

No. You get two fat quarters out of 1/2 yard. You get two fat 1/8's out of 1/4 yard. Remember, the more cuts it takes to make these pretty packages, the more expensive it gets.

katesnanna 04-26-2011 04:53 PM

OK, I'm happy I made myself look like an idiot for a purpose - to educate other. :mrgreen: ha ha. SO, you actually get two fat quarters out of 1/4 yard, am I correct?[/quote]

No you did not make yourself look like an idiot. You asked a perfectly legit question and as you saw lots of people said they had been in the same boat. Look in the mirror, you will still see the same great person there as yesterday. Asking questions is how we learn.

I have learned:-
Never put yourself down there are too many others willing to do it for you. And then it's only their opinion.

TonnieLoree 04-26-2011 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle
I have seen the measurements for quarters but, I never buy them. Never owned one. I just buy yardage, my Daughter buys all lots of them and less yardage. If I wanted to cut them, I would just call her. Considered cheating I suppose but, thats what I would do.

In all honesty, anytime a piece of fabric has to be cut and folded by a human, it adds to the cost of the piece. If you bought 4 FQ's @ 1.98 that is 7.96 per yard. Um, that's out of my price range! I only buy them if they are on sale for 1.29 or so. It's the variety that draws the crowd. "Lookie at this little bundle of fun" :XD: says the quilters mind. :-)

TonnieLoree 04-26-2011 04:59 PM

I agree with you Julie! :XD:

TonnieLoree 04-26-2011 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Funny thing is, I've been quilting for 12 years and I'm just learning this now. But I'm happy I learned something new!

The best lesson is, unless your pocketbook can afford it, don't buy them. (Isn't this tempting, my pretty?.........) :thumbdown:

nlgh 04-26-2011 05:03 PM

And I saw either online or in a paper catalog, that they had some 5" x 22" cuts. They did not call them by any name, such as skinny eights. I wonder what's with that.