Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tonight I discovered fat quarters are different than 1/4 yards (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tonight-i-discovered-fat-quarters-different-than-1-4-yards-t119039.html)

AUQuilter 04-26-2011 06:55 PM

Quilting lingo- a whole new language. I guess we just have to keep learning.

Painiacs 04-26-2011 07:16 PM

Ty for this. I was told they were the same!!

stitchntimesewing 04-27-2011 02:52 AM

I only learned this by watching youtube tuterals and someone was talking about fq's and explained and showed the difference. We live and learn.

Suzi 04-27-2011 03:30 AM

Thank you - it just reinforces my decision to ALWAYS stick with yardage ....... you can keep the FQs

MerryQuilter 04-27-2011 03:33 AM

No idiot quilting is always a learning curve enjoy!

dixiechunk 04-27-2011 03:34 AM

Never gave it a thought...doesn't sound like enough fabric to worry about doing that much math! But seriously, now that you got me thinking...I would say a fat 1/8 is half of a FQ (cut perpendicular to the selvedge)or 9X21. Can't wait to see how this one plays out! Big smiley face.

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
Well, take heart....there are alot of people out there that have had that moment of not knowing.....AND, there may even be more uncertainty about a fat 1/8th.
I always thought a fat 1/8th was 18X11...what do you all say?

Becky Mc 04-27-2011 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Pulled our a very simple table runner that I may be teaching as a "beginner quilting" project at an upcoming retreat, and it calls for 3 fat quarters. I figured I'd make a sample one to take with me. Choosing ANY colors is always a big deal to me, as I always over-think it. SO I found a beautiful floral print I figured I'd use as my 'focal' point, then chose two other complimentary colors. Two out of three were 1/4 yard cuts, and until now I never realized that fat quarters are cut differently than just cutting off 1/4 yard. Am I the only idiot out here that didn't know this? The pattern's directions for cutting was simple with the fat quarter (of course), but I had to finagle some with the 1/4 yard, only doing so because I didn't want to change my mind again about fabrics. Man do I feel stupid. :shock:

Not about quilting but a cute story for people to get a lol moment, a gal I knew years back went shoping and bought spagetti noodles in bulk got 2 lbs for a real good price when she got home she was so excited she said I got 2 lbs and if I break them in half I will have 4 pounds. This isn't a joke it really happened and her hubby told her she needed to go back to math class. And Never I mean NEVER tell anyone what you just said. But being a man he told us all................. men!

Monie 04-27-2011 04:14 AM

Well as usualy I just learned something I wondered why some where fat and some skinny. Loooooove this board!!!!!!

#1piecemaker 04-27-2011 04:19 AM

I had to google it to find out what everybody was talking about. I didn't know either. Same thing with Charm squares and layer cakes and jelly rolls. So, nom you aren't the only one.

Goldie 04-27-2011 04:23 AM

I have a great t-shirt that says: A fat quarter is not a body part! :D