Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Too Hot to Quilt? Am I the Only One? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/too-hot-quilt-am-i-only-one-t280794.html)

ILoveToQuilt 07-27-2016 11:05 AM

Too Hot to Quilt? Am I the Only One?

I am itching to finish the quilt top I am working on so I can start my next project. Problem is...it is just too hot to quilt! It has been in the low to mid 90's up here in New Hampshire and my home is not air conditioned. I do have large fans, but I am still too sticky and hot. It seems that it has been an extremely hot and dry summer so far.

I know I am not the only one facing this...how do you deal? Do you just grin and bear it and quilt anyway? Not quilt and miss it? Do hand projects? Go to the mall or fabric stores and enjoy their a/c?

Would love it if DH would replace the a/c he removed when he installed our pellet stove. Better to be warm during the winter, I guess...:) (P.S. He works outside the home in an air conditioned office....oh well.)

SewingSew 07-27-2016 11:28 AM

Anita, I'm in New Hampshire too. It has been warm and my sewing room is not air conditioned. My last two houses have had central air (NC & Ohio). My house here is a salt-box cape and we have window air conditioners on both floors. I need to buy one for my sewing room. Until now it has been a non-issue, because I've been so busy with other things that I haven't had time to sew. But next week, my grandson starts pre-school, so I'll have more free time. I already have two projects planned, but I'll most likely take my work in a cooler room temporarily. Do you have a basement you could go to? Mine is very cool this time of year.

ILoveToQuilt 07-27-2016 11:34 AM

SewingSew...unfinished, disgusting basement (think creepy crawly). I have to work on the DH to buy an a/c (maybe one of the roll around kinds that can be moved from room to room) this week.

I am in extreme southern NH (mid state) on the Massachusetts border. Where are you?

RedGarnet222 07-27-2016 12:07 PM

We have had over a hundred degrees this whole week and even with the air conditioning it is too hot by late morning to sew in my room upstairs. I do go up while it is somewhat cool, but that is all. I also have had a problem with my hand/arm and been wearing a brace, so that doesn't help either.
I know how you feel. When it is too hot who can stand to sew? I am thinking of trying to sew downstairs, but, I hate to clean up every time I quit for the day. So, I am not so sure that is the answer.

Come on fall!

quiltingcandy 07-27-2016 12:17 PM

For years I have resisted buying an air conditioner because the electricity in our area is sky high. But I may need to re-think this because this heat is driving me crazy. I keep threatening my daughter that I will go sit in her house and run her air while she is at work. The other day she said she may want me to do it because her place was so hot when she got home she couldn't cool it down by the time she went to bed. The day isn't so horrible to me it is the night time.

SewingSew 07-27-2016 12:32 PM

Anita, I'm at the base of the Monadnock mountains, near the border of Vermont. You really should think about a window unit. You can pick one up for about $100. I hope you find relief. Red Garnet, I know what you mean about not wanting another mess to clean up. That's the downside to sewing in another room. I'm sorry about your hand/arm problem. I'm going to need an operation on my hand, and then I'll be out of commission for 6 to 8 weeks. I have trigger finger on the middle finger of my left hand. I hope your situation is better soon, or at least that you're able to work around it. Stay cool my friends.

Sandygirl 07-27-2016 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 7612562)
For years I have resisted buying an air conditioner because the electricity in our area is sky high. But I may need to re-think this because this heat is driving me crazy. I keep threatening my daughter that I will go sit in her house and run her air while she is at work. The other day she said she may want me to do it because her place was so hot when she got home she couldn't cool it down by the time she went to bed. The day isn't so horrible to me it is the night time.

Window AC is very Energy Star friendly....buy them. It is better for your health and wellbeing to be comfortable. The Energy Star rating label will tell you what the annual cost is to run the unit.

Sandy

jbj137 07-27-2016 12:42 PM

*** In upstate South Carolina today we are 95 degrees with heat index of 103.
*** And still climbing.
*** A/C has not turned off since 10 AM - running non-stop.

Dina 07-27-2016 01:22 PM

It's 102 here in north central Texas. You can't live here without AC, so I am able to quilt quite comfortably. We just got out of a 5 year drought a year ago, which started with over 100 days in a row of over 100 degrees. We would have all dried up and blown away without the AC.

But, I feel your pain. I wish I could send some of our AC your way. I am quilting a Log Cabin right now, and even with the AC, it felt very heavy on my lap as I removed 80 inches of stitching. (I was off by one inch. I am trying to cross stitch every four inches and went with 5 when I wasn't paying attention.)

Stay as cool as you can. I am sending cool thoughts your way.

Dina

toverly 07-27-2016 01:31 PM

I can't quilt in hot weather either. Or at least with throw size or larger. I stick with small quick projects like placemats, fold n stitch wreaths and potholders. Even with AC going full blast. It's just too hot.