Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Too many hobbies? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/too-many-hobbies-t194307.html)

mimiof4 07-13-2012 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter (Post 5356433)
Me, too! Now I want to learn to tat.

Wow haven't heard that in along time, had a neighbor once who could tat it was impressive. Her mom made her wedding dress and veil and she tatted all these motifs for the veil as I remember it was beautiful.

joyce888 07-13-2012 05:19 PM

I have other interests and hobbies besides quilting. I think it keeps me from getting bored or burned out on quilting.

Jackie R 07-13-2012 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by karlin68 (Post 5356428)
Am I the only one out there with a lot of crafty hobbies? My passion is quilting, but I am thinking of getting back into sewing garments, and I like to crochet and knit and have been known to make my own jewelry..... am I spreading myself too thin and should I just concentrate on a few hobbies become to really, really proficient? I think part of it is "play therapy" for me and I like having lots of different "toys" to play with. Anyone out there like me?

Yes, yes, yes! But I watch my two little grandsons four days a week, love to read, finishing up on a baby quilt, yard work, and I would love to get back into some art/painting if there just was more open time. Some day...... Oh yes, forgot about counted cross stitch and embroidery which I can't seem to get to very often.

RugosaB 07-13-2012 07:44 PM

quilting, garment sewing, decorative sewing, crochet, organic flower gardening, used to be dog showing and breeding too, making jewelry, attending auctions. Plus, my husband and I are still working on 'this old house,' it's more of a hobby, than a project with an end
No, my house is not clean LOL

MimiBug123 07-13-2012 09:23 PM

You make me feel so good! I am truly not alone. I quilt, scrapbook, sew for my DGD, paint, decorate my home (often), make cakes-you name it, I've tried it! I think these things truly keep me sane! Plus I love seeing my handiwork. It makes me proud of myself!

ckcowl 07-14-2012 02:33 AM

i don't think it is a bad thing to enjoy doing a number of different 'crafty' hobby's---do what you love- i used to every year decide to learn to do something new- basket weaving, wool rug hooking, ceramics, stained glass, jewelry making, pottery, locker hooking, soft sculpture, knitting, crocheting, tatting, fabric dyeing, the list goes on & on---i primarily quilt- but every now & then i want to knit something---or create something different- and love it all- some of my past passions i still am well stocked for & can turn to it any time i want- others i have to go pick up a few things if i decide i want to but i enjoy it all and love to come across some new hobby-craft that i havent tried yet. i never feel guilty for learning how to do new things especially when creating items that are useful (gifts, keeps, sells-what ever)

nstitches4u 07-14-2012 08:56 AM

I have a lot of hobbies and interests. Nothing wrong with that. People who don't have hobbies are dull! lol

sosewcrazy 07-14-2012 09:48 AM

I love all crafts- sewing, crocheting, painting, jewelry, English smocking, sewing garments - you name it! I do mostly quilting, but always have some kind of hand project going on, too. Like you, I've often wondered if I'm spreading myself too thin!

WisWis 07-14-2012 10:09 AM

I bought a book today to teach myself crochet, as I would like to learn.
Recently I returned to knitting and enjoyed it.

johnniesgirl 07-14-2012 06:39 PM

I'm with you Kerlin. I too love to learn and do crafts but I found myself going crazy trying to purchase everything I needed for each so, I decided to narrow it down to 2 or 3 for now. I don't feel so frustrated that way.