Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   too many quilt shops closing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/too-many-quilt-shops-closing-t211901.html)

Weezy Rider 01-26-2013 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 (Post 5812338)
A LQS just opened in my area. It seems to only carry brights and that is not my style so I will not be going there to often. Unfortunally I have found that many LQS specilize in certains colors/styles of fabric so If I do not like that fabric then I do not go to that shop often. I wish more LQS would carry a large variety of fabric to match many stlyes. I have also found that some stores are carring machines and less fabric. I can not see the sense if carrying less fabric since we are not always in the market for machine but always need fabric!!!

That's the same problem I have - I see the colors I want first before even looking at a pattern. If I can't find the right colors, it's hard to change a vision - so I don't buy. I like desert southwestern colors mostly.

laralee 01-26-2013 06:03 AM

$5.00/yard

Originally Posted by nygal (Post 5811857)
It is sad when a quilt shop closes. But I agree that if you purchase all your fabric from them you'd need to win the lottery to afford to keep enjoying being a quilt maker.

There are some of us who are still pricing quality fabric at $5/yard although I am paying more for it wholesale than that in some cases...

athenascooter 01-26-2013 06:06 AM

It is sad that so many quilt shops are closing. We have a couple within a 200 mile radius that have stopped using the punch card on purchases and lower the cost of the fabric. When we go on a shop hop guess what shops sell the most.

helenquilt 01-26-2013 06:19 AM

Yes I know you pay a bit more at you local LQS but if you continue to buy at Jo Ann and Walmart what are they to do. They have bills to pay just like we do. I have had a shop in the past but just could not compete.

krisgray 01-26-2013 06:25 AM

5 shops in all

Originally Posted by BArnold (Post 5811036)
Well at the beginning of the week the county where I live had three quilt shops, but now all are closing. I really wish I knew how to go about opening one up. The only "quilt" shops are 40 minutes away from my home, other than JoAnns. I really like to quality of the material carried by the shops. I guess I will just have to stock up before they close for good.

I was stunned to hear about Blessings closing. BBS was closing due to health problems? Not sure why Patches is closing. The Quilted Garden says she is redirecting her focus to her design business. And Fabric Noshiere is up for sale due to family considerations. That's five shops in the metro area, but they're not all economic reasons.

Wondering what the shop hop will be like. I stopped by the new one east of Manchester & Lindbergh yesterday, Janie Lou, cute but small, very nice owners. Carries French General, other Moda including the solids, and some Free Spirit, some laminates, some precuts - not exactly modern, a little more contemporary.

DebbieG 01-26-2013 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by BArnold (Post 5811036)
Well at the beginning of the week the county where I live had three quilt shops, but now all are closing. I really wish I knew how to go about opening one up. The only "quilt" shops are 40 minutes away from my home, other than JoAnns. I really like to quality of the material carried by the shops. I guess I will just have to stock up before they close for good.

My favorite one closed in Carthage.....really loved that shop and it really only took me 3 or 4 hours to get there...was a nice day trip!!

BArnold 01-26-2013 06:47 AM

I am near St. Louis, but my daughter just bought a house in Overland Park. I LOVE some of the shops near you and when I visit always find the time to check some of them out.

BArnold 01-26-2013 06:48 AM

I was also told yesterday that the Hen House was closing but I have not confirmed this yet. Where are you located. I live in St. Peters

TanyaL 01-26-2013 07:02 AM

The only LQS in my county is closing so the owner can travel. However, when I shopped in there I didn't feel particularly welcome, the fabric style was definitely not my style and when I asked about machine applique I was told that "Real quilters do needle applique!". Obviously I am not going to personally miss it but I'm sure others will.

Lori S 01-26-2013 07:06 AM

I think this has been the "perfect storm" , a high cost of fabric, high unemployment, high anxiety over the economy in general. Additionally, the realization amoungst many quilters that they have accumulated years of quilting making supplies. As consumers .. we might have gone on as we had accumulating , but the conditions in the market , that I mentioned earlier, prompted many to apply the breaks on spending. Lets face it for most of us our consumption rate ( fabric purchased) never matched the production rate. When you consider making a bed size quilt can cost $250 or more using top goods... its becomes apparent our loved hobby is an expensive one.
Sad to see local businesses shutter their doors.