Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: too many quilt shops closing

Blog Entries

too many quilt shops closing

Well at the beginning of the week the county where I live had three quilt shops, but now all are closing. I really wish I knew how to go about opening one up. The only "quilt" shops are 40 minutes away from my home, other than JoAnns. I really like to quality of the material carried by the shops. I guess I will just have to stock up before they close for good.

Blog Entries
    Its too bad that the three stores couldn't have merged together . . .
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    See, that's a perfect example to me of how quilt shop owners may too often be hobbyists rather than business minded people. It really IS too bad they couldn't have gotten together, pooled their resources, created a new business plan and shop, and kept the community supplied.

I don't know your community, admittedly, but betting they were totally independent of each other and rarely encouraged customers to visit the other shops, or shared teachers, or coordinated their fabric buying plans. That's what too many shops do. So sad, so sad.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

[QUOTE=BArnold;5811036]Well at the beginning of the week the county where I live had three quilt shops, but now all are closing. I really wish I knew how to go about opening one up. The only "quilt" shops are 40 minutes away from my home, other than JoAnns. I really like to quality of the material carried by the shops. I guess I will just have to stock up before they close for good.
    where in Missouri?? I am in the Kansas City area

I'm also from Missouri and Borders, Bindings, and More closed last weekend, Blessings in O'Fallon, MO is closing, Patches in St Charles MO is closing and also The Quilted Garden (think that's the correct name) in Edwardville IL is also closing.

Blog Entries
    Also from MO here too - Lebanon. Yes, the quilt shops have better quality fabric - but if you buy all the fabric that you need for a quilt - front and back and the batting from them, then you cannot afford to buy it. Sad facts.
    Nikki in MO

So sorry to hear of the quilt shops closing. I stopped into mine today! Was able to pick up two pieces of fabric for a quilt back. Both fabrics were priced at the old pricing .. thank goodness! I tell my family & friends that for birthday/holiday gifts, gift certificates from the local quilt shop is what I really appreciate. Have three I'm hanging onto ... waiting for the perfect fabric collection. Happy stocking up!
    Live, Laugh, Love & Quilt!
    Weasie

walmart has the rest of the store departments to fall back on, and they close their fabric department if it is not making enough money for them. joann, hancock's (not of paducah) and others, are able to close stores if they are not profitable enough. there is always another walmart or joann or other chain, but once the lqs is gone, it's gone.
    "perfection is the enemy of done."
    "the secret to having it all is knowing you already do."

It is sad when a quilt shop closes. But I agree that if you purchase all your fabric from them you'd need to win the lottery to afford to keep enjoying being a quilt maker.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Banned
    If anyone should be in the Boston area then go to Fabric Place Basement in Natik - about 20 miles west of Boston just off the Interstate an across the street from Neimen Marcus. I had heard that it had reopened but had not been there. They were in the area until about 4 years ago and closed but now reopened. Quilt fabric (all brand names and current lines) are 4.99-6.99 with Batiks at 8.99. I gave a program there last night for a local guild and was amazed at the quantity available and especially the prices.

There is something that each and everyone of us get when we step inside a LQS that we do not get at Joanns or Walmart, or even on the internet, and it is has nothing to do with fabric or notions. It is the way we feel. The level of personal service, help, and encouragement cannot be found anywhere else. The store owners and workers become our friends. Our craft would not be the same if we lost them completely. I too, buy from Joann's and the internet, but I prefer the LQS for the quality of fabric and the reasons I mentioned above. The LQS does provide a service to the communitys, especially the small ones. Many of you will say "I can't afford to shop at the LQS" but can we afford to lose them?

Quote Originally Posted by BArnold View Post
    Well at the beginning of the week the county where I live had three quilt shops, but now all are closing. I really wish I knew how to go about opening one up. The only "quilt" shops are 40 minutes away from my home, other than JoAnns. I really like to quality of the material carried by the shops. I guess I will just have to stock up before they close for good.
    You must live pretty far west! I know which shops are closing...you still have plenty of great places to shop.
    I know your area and St Louis metro area very well. It s "home" for me.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by dmsaki View Post
    I'm also from Missouri and Borders, Bindings, and More closed last weekend, Blessings in O'Fallon, MO is closing, Patches in St Charles MO is closing and also The Quilted Garden (think that's the correct name) in Edwardville IL is also closing.
    The quilted garden really? Charming shop, been there, bought there. Yikes. Hate to hear that. I can't sew fast enough to keep up with what I got, let alone keep buying more. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
    ...it is has nothing to do with fabric or notions. It is the way we feel. The level of personal service, help, and encouragement cannot be found anywhere else. The store owners and workers become our friends.
    Don't get me wrong, I am glad you feel this way, but this has never been my experience at any of the LQS in my area, particularly the one in my town.

Regarding the comments about shops banding together and owners not being business-minded, I agree. It's a pity the owners couldn't have gotten together, discussed their preferences, created a buying co-op, and made it work. I've gone into shops where the main theme was a style of fabric that didn't appeal to me, and that's fine -- it may be just what someone else loves! I'm thinking of one that was predominantly Civil War fabrics and the like. I'd love it if the stores had themes and I knew which one to go to get what I wanted. Could work for everyone.

I met a young woman who had a tiny fabric store attached to her bicycle renting business in a tourist area. She had a couple hundred bolts maybe, from only maybe two or three companies. She told me the manufacturers had minimum purchases and she couldn't afford to buy from all of them, so she went with her favorites. Made sense to me. Just depends if enough other people also like your favorites
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Its sad but so true, who can afford to spend $100 every week or even every month to 'help' keep the doors open.. ?!?!?

With so many of us using up our 'stashes' we can only expect more and more to close.. Sad but true..

I for one am happy I have a stash to last me multiple lifetimes- as my nearest LQS is still quite a distance.. I do enjoy walking in to LQS to see the latest and greatest but at $11-13/yrd I just cant see me pay that much. Ouch..

A LQS just opened in my area. It seems to only carry brights and that is not my style so I will not be going there to often. Unfortunally I have found that many LQS specilize in certains colors/styles of fabric so If I do not like that fabric then I do not go to that shop often. I wish more LQS would carry a large variety of fabric to match many stlyes. I have also found that some stores are carring machines and less fabric. I can not see the sense if carrying less fabric since we are not always in the market for machine but always need fabric!!!

Fortunately we have four great ones nearby. The fifth seems to be going more toward machines and sewing and not quilting material. But we all need to support our shops.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

It takes a lot of energy to keep a shop profitable. One shop here is Virginia that really makes the effort is WEB Fabrics in Purceville, 30 miles from my home, 60 mile round trip. Carly the owner is in the shop every day, the shop has a WEB presence and sells worldwide, and she takes her shop on the road to all the shows. Even drives the truck alone to Houston. Her staff is always busy with internet orders, or cutting fabric to prepare for the shows. Next show is in Hampton, VA. She is a business woman, and yet personally very helpful to customers that come in to the store.

There is a local one here too. I've gone into it a couple of times. Not the fabric I like to use and I really didn't feel very welcome. I went to a place in Norfolk called the Fabric Hut and the very first time I got all the help I needed. To me they have customer service down pat. If you need help they will take as much time as you need, if you are just looking they don't hover. I figure I am ok here, Fabric Hut is a local business.

There may be LQSs closing, but new ones have opened, too....just not as many as in the past. Do you think some of us may have reached the saturation point because we have built up our stashes to the point we now buy only what we need to finish a project?

Quote Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
    A LQS just opened in my area. It seems to only carry brights and that is not my style so I will not be going there to often. Unfortunally I have found that many LQS specilize in certains colors/styles of fabric so If I do not like that fabric then I do not go to that shop often. I wish more LQS would carry a large variety of fabric to match many stlyes. I have also found that some stores are carring machines and less fabric. I can not see the sense if carrying less fabric since we are not always in the market for machine but always need fabric!!!
    That's the same problem I have - I see the colors I want first before even looking at a pattern. If I can't find the right colors, it's hard to change a vision - so I don't buy. I like desert southwestern colors mostly.

$5.00/yard

Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    It is sad when a quilt shop closes. But I agree that if you purchase all your fabric from them you'd need to win the lottery to afford to keep enjoying being a quilt maker.
    There are some of us who are still pricing quality fabric at $5/yard although I am paying more for it wholesale than that in some cases...

It is sad that so many quilt shops are closing. We have a couple within a 200 mile radius that have stopped using the punch card on purchases and lower the cost of the fabric. When we go on a shop hop guess what shops sell the most.

Yes I know you pay a bit more at you local LQS but if you continue to buy at Jo Ann and Walmart what are they to do. They have bills to pay just like we do. I have had a shop in the past but just could not compete.

5 shops in all

Quote Originally Posted by BArnold View Post
    I was stunned to hear about Blessings closing. BBS was closing due to health problems? Not sure why Patches is closing. The Quilted Garden says she is redirecting her focus to her design business. And Fabric Noshiere is up for sale due to family considerations. That's five shops in the metro area, but they're not all economic reasons.

Wondering what the shop hop will be like. I stopped by the new one east of Manchester & Lindbergh yesterday, Janie Lou, cute but small, very nice owners. Carries French General, other Moda including the solids, and some Free Spirit, some laminates, some precuts - not exactly modern, a little more contemporary.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast