Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
too many quilt shops closing >

too many quilt shops closing

too many quilt shops closing

Old 01-27-2013, 03:27 PM

I think they close because they aren't business people. You have to merchandise have classes move inventory understand accounting be creative. Our LQS are booming. But they always have something going and they sell machines. I do not think it is the economy because people are still spending at joann s.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:32 PM

I'm sorry to hear that your quilt stores are closing.

I buy from the local one- about 2 times a year. Not a whole lot - but I'm a customer.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:09 PM

It is sad the lgs are closing but to be frank I think it is horrible to have to pay $20 a meter here at our lgs (Canada)I don't know many people who can afford that. The one and only time I went to the one here and asked a few questions about beginning to quilt the owner looked down her nose at me and told me if I had any questions I had to take a class before she would help me. Really put me off that store, the store closed down. I have a sneaky suspicion it may have been the lack of customer service more than the price of her fabrics. While i love to support local business it makes it close to impossible for people to keep at a hobby if they have to spend $20 or more a meter. Even on clearance the price for fabric is still $6+ a meter here. So if I want to quilt at all i can only afford most of my fabric from online sources.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by BArnold View Post
I was also told yesterday that the Hen House was closing but I have not confirmed this yet. Where are you located. I live in St. Peters
I just verified with Helen's House that they are NOT closing.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by fran624 View Post
Hi I don't come on very often but read most of all the threads. One thread is from Chasing Hawk. Read it a couple of times as she makes the most sense of it all. The middle class was not suppose to get hit. What a laugh. The small shops cannot compete with the larger ones. The problem high gas prices, taxes on payroll rent and expenses on store. And again the big manufactures of material same problem plus the price on the gas for the big trucks to deliver. They also employ many people so their cost is also high. Chasing Hawk ECONOMY is correct. By the way anyone notice food prices going up and packaging getting smaller. I guess we have to get used to the idea. Our beloved country is going down the drain.
I am glad someone else sees what is happening in our country. It's easy to blame the big guy, but the plain truth is those who sit up in D.C can't find a pair of scissors to cut the credit card into tiny pieces are to blame. We (working people) can barely support our families let alone any others.
I opened my box of Cherrios the other day, they got smaller......If they shrink them anymore they will be the size of pony beads....LOL
Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 PM

It's really bad. that most of the quilting shop is closing, due to bad economy. Anyway its because. It sooooo high the price of the fabric and the overhead (the utility, tax, rent,the employee etc....) The online sales, Joann fabric, the Walmart
they all pretty much carry a good fabric for reasonable price and having the sales and 50% sales.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:20 PM

Fabric, like anything else marketed to the consumer, is sold to retailers based on the size of their order. You can't buy fabric from a LQS at the same price as a big box store for the same reason that a Ring-Ding costs 99¢ at the gas station and 2/$1 at the grocery store. It's all about volume discounts. Same product, many many different prices depending on store size, store specialty, region, etc. It's all marketing and economics. And don't even get me started on where the product is manufactured...
Ultimately, though, the consumer is still a big factor, and as we've all talked about here, if we (as consumers) can get "it" cheaper somewhere else, that's where our dollars go.

As for WM...they make their own rules in this game of business, and many suppliers will tell you that WM dictates what the supplier will sell their product to WM for, not the other way around. They'll tout their business ethics from here to the moon though (rolleyes).

Last edited by Teeler; 02-01-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by BArnold View Post
Well at the beginning of the week the county where I live had three quilt shops, but now all are closing. I really wish I knew how to go about opening one up. The only "quilt" shops are 40 minutes away from my home, other than JoAnns. I really like to quality of the material carried by the shops. I guess I will just have to stock up before they close for good.
So, did you stock up?? Bargains??

Sandy
Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 AM

Sorry to hear that they have closed or are closing. I figured that once the price of fabric got so high, a lot of shops would not be able to generate enough business to stay open. It's too back because the fabric is lovely, if expensive. I am not able to buy fabric right now until I find a job, so I am trying to make do with my stash for now. But I do love to go look at fabric at quilt shows and local shops....look but don't buy. (sigh)