Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
too many quilt shops closing >

too many quilt shops closing

too many quilt shops closing

Old 01-26-2013, 09:02 AM

If we listen to what is being said on this board, and how many times quilters buy using JoAnn coupons...doesn't that tell you one reason why the quilt shops are closing? How many times do I hear, I am going to use my 40% off coupon at Joann's? That is one big reason why the shops are closing. We really don't support them with notions and books like we should. Granted the fabric pricing is out of site, that hurts the shops as well but a big part of closings is due to the cheaper prices at WalMart and JoAnn's. Another example of Big Box stores running Mom and Pop out of the neighborhoods...think about it Ladies.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:06 AM

Crafts are very cyclical. Knitting has come and gone and come again. Our city now has three large knitting stores with one being incredibly high end. Three new fabric stores have opened in the last year. One modern fabric for quilting, one standard quilting and one high end sewing fabric. We have lost several "rural" quilt stores but it appears to have been location and the cost of gas. Our local shops are working hard at offering lots of incentives to get shoppers in the door. They are packed full at Saturday events and at their sales.

My favorite cross stitch shop closed due to rent increases and the pressure of family obligations. She had a prime spot across from the high end mall and was paying $3500 a month just for rent. It is not always about sales decreasing. It is a hard job being a business owner and can sometimes suck all the enthusiasm for the craft from the person.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:19 AM

In missouri the shop in Kearney is also closing. I got an email just before the beginning of the year. We also lost our little shop in LaMonte last year. But we did get a new shop, that also sells long arms that opened late last year. I guess we need to wait and see.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:03 PM

Seems we all know the answer by what I am reading. I agree, it is difficult and expensive to only buy at LQS. I blindly bought from my local LQS, and it also is the Baby Lock dealer here. I assumed she was giving me the best price as I was always buying notions, supplies, material, and of course my machines. But then I was shown differently by a friend, and realized I couldn't afford to pay $30 dollars more for an item I can get elsewhere. So now I shop. I have to - LQSs should carry more diversified line of fabrics, some "lesser" grade of fabrics (not the poorest, but the more reasonably priced) as well as the higher end.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:14 PM

Hi linhawk, I am the store that opened in San Dimas, California. We try for the very best customer service that is possible and we have an on-line store too. I am glad that you found us to be "very nice people". Come again, any time. Meredith...Beautiful Quilt Fabric, 237 W Bonita Ave San Dimas, CA...www.beautifulquiltfabric.com
Old 01-26-2013, 12:21 PM

"LQSs should carry more diversified line of fabrics, some "lesser" grade of fabrics (not the poorest, but the more reasonably priced) as well as the higher end.[/QUOTE]"

As a local quilt store and as an internet quilt store, this is my answer to this quote.

If you want a less grade of fabric, you have to go to Walmart or Joanne's. They have the purchasing power to pay less for the fabric than a local quilt store can. I was at market and asked one of the vendors who I know sells to Walmart and I asked them if they would sell me the fabric at the same price as they would to Walmart. They said no. Then I told them I couldn't purchase it because I would not be competitive. They didn't care.

Now the vendors who specialize in selling to LQS carry a higher quality of fabric, so if it's higher quality and costs us more, then our prices are going to be higher, but you get what you pay for. If you are spending 40 or 50 hours to make a quilt, do you really want to save $25 by purchasing cheap fabric???? Or do you want something that is better qualilty?

Last edited by merridancer; 01-26-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:39 PM

As a local quilt store and as an internet quilt store, this is my answer to this quote.

If you want a less grade of fabric, you have to go to Walmart or Joanne's. They have the purchasing power to pay less for the fabric than a local quilt store can. I was at market and asked one of the vendors who I know sells to Walmart and I asked them if they would sell me the fabric at the same price as they would to Walmart. They said no. Then I told them I couldn't purchase it because I would not be competitive. They didn't care.

Now the vendors who specialize in selling to LQS carry a higher quality of fabric, so if it's higher quality and costs us more, then our prices are going to be higher, but you get what you pay for. If you are spending 40 or 50 hours to make a quilt, do you really want to save $25 by purchasing cheap fabric???? Or do you want something that is better qualilty?
You make a very valid point.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:50 PM

I just bought some very nice fabric at my LQS this morning for $3 a yard. I'm sure it's not the latest or most up to date, but it's good colors and good quality and cute kid patterns. She is closing out lots of fabrics to make room for more. She carries the high end stuff, as well, and I do buy it sometimes. It's just nice to be able to pick up fabric for charity quilts at a good price.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by primbears View Post
If we listen to what is being said on this board, and how many times quilters buy using JoAnn coupons...doesn't that tell you one reason why the quilt shops are closing? How many times do I hear, I am going to use my 40% off coupon at Joann's? That is one big reason why the shops are closing. We really don't support them with notions and books like we should. Granted the fabric pricing is out of site, that hurts the shops as well but a big part of closings is due to the cheaper prices at WalMart and JoAnn's. Another example of Big Box stores running Mom and Pop out of the neighborhoods...think about it Ladies.
You can't blame Joann's, Hancock's or even Wal Mart for the beloved LQS closing, that's ludicrous. The ECONOMY is a major factor as to why they close,some shop owners can't pay for the Obama health taxes that came out or are soon to be a reality. The latest tax hikes that went into effect on January 1st hit hard too. A lot of people who's income was slashed or those who have NO job now can't spend as they did a few years ago. If Joanns has a coupon I can use I will use it, if the LQS offered better deals maybe I would shop there on occasion. I go to the one in our small town a few times a year. It is about the only one I have been in where they actually will have a conversation with you. And they seem to do very well.

Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 01-26-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:06 PM

Within a 150 mile radius I have 6 LQS at my disposal. Just because it's a LQS doesn't mean that they necessarily have all quality fabric. Have had some fabric that frayed so badly I had to use fray check for fear the seam allowances would fray out before I could finish the project even though to feel them in the store they were soft, draped well and were tightly woven. I, also, question how some stores can sell quality fabric for $5.99 a yard from name manufacturers while a LQS is selling the same thing for $10.99 a yard. I believe in making a profit but there's a limit to everything.