Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   too many quilt shops closing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/too-many-quilt-shops-closing-t211901.html)

caroloto 01-26-2013 02:19 PM

I totally agree! Now I am lucky to be in an area with 3 LQS within 12 to 15 miles (all in opposite directions) each carry a speciality type of fabric style and or colors but also have fabric the same. Of the fabric in these LQS is starting at $5/6 a yard on sale (mostly end of bolt) and the reg. priced up to $11.99 a yard. The average prices on most bolts is apox $8.99/9.99 a yard in these shops. One of these shop has been featured in "Quilt Sampler (Better Homes and Garden) Shop hop" They all have classes, BOM and personal service. The notion in them are about the same prices as JoAnn's using the JoAnns 50% off coupon. Now I'm sure all of these LQS have reduces their make up of the fabric.

lots2do 01-26-2013 03:02 PM

I am spoiled here in NH and have places to shop at in Maine and Florida when we visit there. One trend I've seen is that some owners are moving their shops to spaces attached to their homes to save on overhead. I'm on a fabric diet so I'm currently staying away but I will be back.

labtechkty 01-26-2013 04:23 PM

As I donot have a LQS near my home, I have to use Joann's etc..but I do make an effort to visit LQS when I travel to towns that do have them. I must say that while there are those that are very customer oriented and answer all my questions, I have come across those that , it seems to me, that find out I'm from out of town and will then totally ignore me, or give me short, curt responses to questions, so I leave without buying anything and when I do go back to those towns I avoid those shops...having said that I can understand why some of these shops are closing...I for one will not spend $50 or more dollars at a shop that doesnot appreciate my business..

Sewhappygal 01-26-2013 05:22 PM

Joann's fabric prices are going through the roof. I figure if I'm going to pay that kind of money to Joann's I rather spend it at a LQS. Two of three quilt shops have closed in my area in the last 6 months. Very sad.

ckcowl 01-26-2013 05:49 PM

quite often people who enjoy the quilting hobby decide they would like a shop- they open, invest huge amounts of $$ and do not have the resources to keep themselves afloat long enough to break even or ever make a profit- instead of enjoying their hobby-now they are dragged down by a job-that is long-hard hours with little to no compensation. just because we are capable of making wonderful quilts- or teaching classes- it does not mean we are (qualified) to operate a business- it takes time, resources, a real sense for business (and the education) marketing expertise,
you may find many of the successful shops are ones that are owned by business people- who may have started quilting even years after opening their store...they opened a store because they are business people with a love of textiles, or crafts, love quilts & quilters- to have a successful store the business aspect has to come first...it's unfortunate when good intentions, hopes & interest just isn't enough to keep you afloat.
i do know 2 ladies who opened a store and were open and quite busy for 7+ years---they closed simply because they were tired of being tied to the store - wanted to travel- teach- expand their interests-instead of being stuck day after day working in a retail setting...opening a store should always be very carefully researched, thought through, a good business plan in place- someone knowledgable in the business part should be involved- it's not something that should be entered into (because it would be fun) --- your hobby is fun- owning a store is no longer enjoying your hobby---it's a job! and any self-employed business owner will tell you- you put in 30 hours a day- 9 days a week! it is a full time- consuming venture-- and maybe once in a while you will have some time to make something- or do something you enjoy

Cybrarian 01-26-2013 09:33 PM

I try not to spend more than I should, but yes there have been times that I have. I try to spend the dollars I have in support of the LQSs, JoAnns (our friends and neighbors work there), and a little online. I am very fortunate in my 2 LQSs Country Quilts & Bears in Clearwater and Rainbows End in Dunedin. If you are ever in our area you will be glad you visited them! So spend for what you need, when you can and spread it around if you can.:thumbup:

kaelynangelfoot 01-27-2013 05:44 AM

There is only one LQS that I know of close to me and sadly, I just can't afford to spend $10-$15 dollars per yard for quilting fabric. Most of my fabric is bought on sale at JoAnns or online though a few reasonable retailers. Its just too expensive otherwise. Especially now, with both property and income taxes going up in my area and increases to our health insurance costs.

fran624 01-27-2013 01:06 PM

Hi I don't come on very often but read most of all the threads. One thread is from Chasing Hawk. Read it a couple of times as she makes the most sense of it all. The middle class was not suppose to get hit. What a laugh. The small shops cannot compete with the larger ones. The problem high gas prices, taxes on payroll rent and expenses on store. And again the big manufactures of material same problem plus the price on the gas for the big trucks to deliver. They also employ many people so their cost is also high. Chasing Hawk ECONOMY is correct. By the way anyone notice food prices going up and packaging getting smaller. I guess we have to get used to the idea. Our beloved country is going down the drain.

AuntieD 01-27-2013 02:31 PM

I went to the local JoAnn's last week and suffered sticker shock from some of their prices. I realize that prices were expected to go up, but even so I was shocked. My lqs has great selections and I go when my budget allows. I cannot afford large amounts of fabric, but let the ladies know I like to spend some money with them, and they are appreciative. If I have the choice between purchasing $$12 a yd at JoAnn or my LQS, its going to the LQS.

jcrow 01-27-2013 02:58 PM

My LQS hasn't bought any new fabric for a long time. Everyone is shopping online. Her prices are good. Someone else opened a shop in town when it's only a one shop town. It's a shame. She has new fabric because of an inheritance, but I wonder what she's going to do for more fabric. And a new shop is opening in a town over when it already has a shop. The woman was bragging on another forum about finding a town without a quilt shop and I pm'd her and told her they already had a quilt shop and she wrote me back and said that they sold sewing machines mostly. I told her they had lots of classes and very loyal customers and just received a new line of fabric. She's probably going to run them both into the ground. I refuse to buy fabric or any other quilting items at Walmart and we have no Joann's around. They are helping to close the LQSs. Buy locally and at the quilt shops. Pretty soon they will be a thing of the past and everyone will be complaining that they can't match their fabric online exactly and that Walmart and Joann's fabric is getting even worse because there will be no competition.