Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Took the plunge!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/took-plunge-t218373.html)

mcwillia 04-06-2013 02:13 PM

The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for Elmer's washable glue states:
Chemical Product and Company Identification
DESCRIPTION: ELMER'S WASHABLE SCHOOL GLUE
PRODUCT TYPE: Chemical Product and Company Identification
Whikipedia states:
Polyvinyl acetate, PVA, PVAc, poly(ethenyl ethanoate), is a rubbery synthetic polymer with the formula (C4H6O2)n. It belongs to the polyvinyl esters family with the general formula -[RCOOCHCH2]-. It is a type of thermoplastic

So contrary to the urban legend, there is no cornstarch in Elmer's washable school glue

Maggiem 04-06-2013 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by mcwillia (Post 5982556)
The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for Elmer's washable glue states:
Chemical Product and Company Identification
DESCRIPTION: ELMER'S WASHABLE SCHOOL GLUE
PRODUCT TYPE: Chemical Product and Company Identification
Whikipedia states:
Polyvinyl acetate, PVA, PVAc, poly(ethenyl ethanoate), is a rubbery synthetic polymer with the formula (C4H6O2)n. It belongs to the polyvinyl esters family with the general formula -[RCOOCHCH2]-. It is a type of thermoplastic

So contrary to the urban legend, there is no cornstarch in Elmer's washable school glue

Thank you for clearing that point up, Mcwillia. The urban legend about buggies and creepy-crawlies can now be put to rest and lots of previously frightened people can discover the joys of washable-glue!

quilttiger 04-07-2013 03:43 AM

I am a new Elmer's School Glue convert! Earlier, I had used it to match up open seams only. Just a couple weeks ago, I basted the batting and backing together in sections (roll up the batting first, drizzle the glue very lightly on the backing, one section at a time, then roll down the batting to the end of the section and pat it down gently. Repeat this until the backing is done. Worked like a dream!). This past week I used the glue for the binding for the first time. It is accurate and it is a timesaver! Thanks, everyone, for cluing us into Elmer's School Glue!

RGAY 04-07-2013 03:51 AM

I have read the messages about glue basting and have a question. Almost all of my quilts end up on the wall instead of on someone's lap. I have never washed a completed art quilt. If I were to glue baste, which sounds really useful, would it be a problem to leave the glue and not wash it out????? OR, is there a way to remove the glue without washing the quilt? Since I make art quilts, I seldom to never prewash my fabric..... I am very worried about bleeding.

One more thing - I have only recently joined this quilt board, but have been reading it for months and cannot believe how much I have learned from all of you. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience!!!!!

tkee 04-07-2013 04:03 AM

I would be hesitant to use it if I wasn't going to wash it out. If you have bigger dots it can leave a hard bump and mine smelled a little like glue before I washed it. And I do think bleeding might be a problem.

quilterpurpledog 04-07-2013 04:39 AM

I sandwiched a quilt just yesterday using Elmer's school glue. I clamped the backing to my 30 X 72 table. I laid the batting on top and checked to be sure it fit as planned (no surprises at the end). I re-rolled the batting and started laying down dots of glue and unrolled the batting as I went. I turned the piece over and laid dots of glue on the batting side and pressed the quilt top on in smoothing with my hands. By putting the top on last I could be sure that it was straight and had straight lines and square corners on the blocks. I thinned the glue with 25% water so it would come out of the bottle easier. The process took about an hour. I let mine air dry on the table while I did other things in preparation for the quilting. I have done my quilt sandwiches this way several times. Those heavy, cumbersome safety pins have joined the relics bin for me! It washes out completely.

klgls 04-07-2013 05:03 AM

I found 4 brand new bottles of Elmer's School Washable glue at a garage sale yesterday for .10 each. Snatched those puppies up. I'm going to try it today on a quilt that's ready to be FMQ. :)

Pattycakes 04-07-2013 06:36 AM

I seen the tutorial for Elmers Glue on the board but forgot to save it. Could someone please post the link again. Thank you so much for all your help. I so appreciate everyone here. You are my extended family.

WMD926 04-07-2013 06:42 AM

I haven't tried it but I am planning to do that soon..as soon as I remember to buy the glue.

grandjan 04-07-2013 06:44 AM

Okay. I'm convinced. Will try the glue method the very next time because it sure sounds easier!