Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Took the plunge!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/took-plunge-t218373.html)

Carol34446 04-07-2013 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Pattycakes (Post 5983895)
I seen the tutorial for Elmers Glue on the board but forgot to save it. Could someone please post the link again. Thank you so much for all your help. I so appreciate everyone here. You are my extended family.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...d-t217470.html

Ranchwife 04-07-2013 08:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I took the plunge on Friday and started using Elmer's Washable glue. I am doing a QAYG on a log cabin. I am Stitching in the ditch around each round. Before I started using the glue, I was pinning the sandwich. But at about the 3rd round, the blick started shifting and ended up skewing the block (see block on right). I was totally frustrated and invested in 4 bottles of washable glue. Remembering the phrase, "A dot is a lot," I applied a small amount of glue to the backing, added the batting and pressed. Then I drew very thin lines of glue on the seam allowances on the back of the block, placed it on the batting, smoothed it by hand, then pressed it until it was dry. When I SID, the block stopped shifting and was not skewed. I was so impressed with the glue. The blocks are just as flexible as the few I did without the glue. I'll definitely be using glue to fuse backing/batting/top in the future.

The block on the left is done with glue, the block on the right without. Visually, there are no differences other than the left is not skewed (ignore my sloppy cutting of the batting though).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]406597[/ATTACH]

solstice3 04-07-2013 08:20 AM

I am still trying to work up the courage to try it. I need a partner in crime ;-)

linda faye 04-07-2013 09:08 AM

You have heard Paula Dean say that "...butter is your friend."? Well, Elmer's Glue is my new best friend! It has made matching seams and points so much easier. It has made sewing pinless and painless. Give it a try on just a block......you might like it. :)

sewplease 04-07-2013 11:54 AM

I love your enthusiasm! I felt the same way after using it to "pin" rows together. :-)

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie (Post 5981300)
Picked up a bottle of Elmers School Glue last week. It sat on my desk staring at me so I finally got brave, took my quilt that still needed borders off the design wall and glued the first border on. NEVER, EVER, will I pin a border again. Oh my gosh, it was so nice to sew a border on and not get stuck with a pin in the process! Thanks to everyone for posting about the glue!! :thumbup:

jeanharville 04-07-2013 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingnewbie (Post 5981683)
How does glue basting compare to using spray (aside from being much cheaper)? And do you really use the glue to baste an entire project, or just certain parts (seams/binding/applique)?

I use spray to baste the quilt sandwich, but I use glue to baste the binding, applique and anywhere else where I would usually pin or thread baste. Some members have said they use the glue to baste the sandwich and I may try that later, but I like 505 so much I may just stay with it.

TX GMimi 04-07-2013 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie (Post 5981300)
Picked up a bottle of Elmers School Glue last week. It sat on my desk staring at me so I finally got brave, took my quilt that still needed borders off the design wall and glued the first border on. NEVER, EVER, will I pin a border again. Oh my gosh, it was so nice to sew a border on and not get stuck with a pin in the process! Thanks to everyone for posting about the glue!! :thumbup:

Working on applique - SO - I used Elmer's to hold things in place. I'm a believer now!!! Will use Elmer's whenever I have to pin.

Thanks to everyone for encouraging us to try it!!

Joyce29 04-07-2013 01:23 PM

Using Elmer's glue sounds like something I would like to try but I don't wash my quilts. I like the smoother look. Eventually they get washed but wonder how the glue will look if it isn't washed out for awhile. Will there be lumps or bumps where the dots of glue are? Will it noticeably stiffen the seams? Someone tell me I'm worrying about nothing :)

normasews 04-07-2013 01:45 PM

Thank you all for the great information. I'm going to give this a try on my next project.

adamae 04-07-2013 01:59 PM

I used the washable glue on a t shirt quilt w/o fusible and utilized a lightweight fleece backing. It sure was easy. Knits tend to curl and crawl, I had starched heavily before cutting and using the glue helped me when sewing the seams and putting the backing on. It was scraps leftover from a quilt with logos that will be donated to the local nursing home. It has been washed on regular cycle and is nice and soft.