Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Total despair....have had enough (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/total-despair-have-had-enough-t154486.html)

1000projects 09-20-2011 02:55 PM

Since feed dogs UP makes the stitching better, could there be a problem with the darning foot not pressing hard enough?

If you have a local dealer, try out the janome 1600p. Side loadig bobbin, straight stitch only. It runs about $600-1000 in the usa. Crazy as it seems, it may make sense to have one machine for sewing/ quilt assembly - the high end machine - and another straight stitch only machine for FMQ.

You could even park yourself at their machine and keep going until your project is done - test it thoroughly!

Prism99 09-20-2011 03:08 PM

A lot of FMQ'ers prefer FMQing with the feed dogs up. So glad it worked for you!

JUNEC 09-20-2011 03:13 PM

So glad you got it to work properly, I would go to the shop that you bought the machine from tell them what happened & ask them for further advise.

knlsmith 09-20-2011 03:15 PM

There is no law that says you have to put your feed dogs down. When I first started I took a class and the teacher actually suggested keeping them up until we were confortable with the motions. Also, remember to trim your bottom thread when going from one place to another if not a continuous line.

Good luck! And take a deep breath. A lot of us have been there. You are not alone. :)

Greenheron 09-20-2011 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Little RoO
Oh my goodness....Anna quilts....I have just raised the feed dogs and guess what perfect stitches again and again.....I don't understand why it makes such a difference but I think you might have just saved my sanity.
It is 11.30pm here in the UK and I haven't managed to get it sew properly since 7pm....had tried everything, cleaning...new needle...new bobbin...different threads but never thought to raise the feed....as I said have just tried it and like magic... perfect tension......thank you, thank you, thank you.

Isn't it amazing someone in another country, across the ocean, can reach out and save someone's sanity? Truly caring enough to stop and help; online Good Samaritans indeed.

:thumbup:

IAmCatOwned 09-20-2011 03:24 PM

I don't have this machine, but for me it always turned out to be one of two things. Either it is not threaded through the very last spot before the needle or I forgot to put my presser foot DOWN.

snipforfun 09-20-2011 03:44 PM

I have the 6600 and never had one problem FMQing. I do it with feed dogs down, use a FMQ foot and go at a moderate speed. The 6600s are notorious for having the the thread jump out of the uptake lever. If that happens thread it opposite of what the manual tells you. Also, join the yahoo group. Lots of help there.

Gramie bj 09-20-2011 03:46 PM

I feel for you. Are you a long way from your dealer? Call them if it is operator error they may be able to help you over the phone. If not you may need to make a trip to get it fixed. My dealer for my Tin Lizzie is about 6 hr away, one way, I have made a lot of phone calls LOL and have gotten a lot of help with my operator error! I have called so much everyone there knows my voice! Don't have to introduce myself anymore,

tammy cosper 09-20-2011 04:26 PM

This sounds like when you move to another spot you aren't using the same motion with the speed of the machine as you did in the previous spot. If you are doing more intricate work be sure and slow the speed of the machine down. Hope this helps.
Tammy

emerald46 09-20-2011 07:41 PM

Yeah!!!! Love a happy ending...I know how miserable projects can turn!