Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Travel sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/travel-sewing-machine-t22948.html)

Icandothat 07-18-2009 03:43 PM

Now that I figured out how to do this, I may become a pest...
I am approaching retirement and am anxious to get back into sewing and quilting. I have a lovely sewing and embroidery machine that I hesitate dragging to classes and sewing guild meetings. Not only is it heavy, but I am concerned that I may damage it.
I am considering purchasing a smaller machine and would appreciate your input. I am considering a Brother 900D. I think I would enjoy the Disney embroidery options. There are so many options......
Any thoughts?

Lacelady 07-18-2009 03:48 PM

I can't help you a lot here. I just kept my older Bernina to take with me, when I bought the newer Bernina. Yes, it still weighs quite a bit, but then I never seem to be able to travel light, I take everything except the kitchen sink!

Icandothat 07-18-2009 03:57 PM

I have an older Viking that is acting up....so, I am looking at my options.

Shemjo 07-18-2009 04:29 PM

I have a Featherweight that I take for classes. :lol:

Icandothat 07-18-2009 04:48 PM

I love Featherweights. I love all those old Singer machines. I could become a collector. Problem is, I would be considered a pack rat because I have a problem parting with things I love.
At my sewing guild, we do some garment sewing and I thought the built in stitches of some of the newer models would be useful.
Also, because I have a goodly number of Grandchildren, I thought Disney embroidery designs would be fun.
Disney designs may be my real reason for wanting this machine.....the issue of toting around my big machine may be my justification. I am pretty good at justifying my wants.

Shemjo 07-18-2009 05:30 PM

Aren't we all! Good at justifying our wants, that is! :lol:

deedum 07-18-2009 07:30 PM

I bought a Janome Jem platinum, just for that reason. Great to travel with, bell sand whistles too! Lightweight and small, love it!

sharon b 07-18-2009 09:40 PM

I have the Brother SE270D And love it ! Actually I now have three Brothers and love them all. I have never had any major issues with my machines , I just wish I had more time to use them :?
And have no few that you will become a pest ... that is why we are all here to get help and advice from each other. I ask a LOT of questions also 8)
Sharon

Pats8e8 07-18-2009 10:03 PM

Featherweights are great for going to classes, if you can find them. Another light weight work horse is the Janome Gem line. I have several ladies in class that bring those and love them.

butterflywing 07-19-2009 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
I bought a Janome Jem platinum, just for that reason. Great to travel with, bell sand whistles too! Lightweight and small, love it!

i bought the janome jem? gem? gold for my daughter before they had the platinum and loved hers so much i got one for myself for traveling. basic, but smooth and very reliable. it does all my hotel-room piecing. love it.