Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Travel sewing machine

Now that I figured out how to do this, I may become a pest...
    I am approaching retirement and am anxious to get back into sewing and quilting. I have a lovely sewing and embroidery machine that I hesitate dragging to classes and sewing guild meetings. Not only is it heavy, but I am concerned that I may damage it.
    I am considering purchasing a smaller machine and would appreciate your input. I am considering a Brother 900D. I think I would enjoy the Disney embroidery options. There are so many options......
    Any thoughts?

Blog Entries
    I can't help you a lot here. I just kept my older Bernina to take with me, when I bought the newer Bernina. Yes, it still weighs quite a bit, but then I never seem to be able to travel light, I take everything except the kitchen sink!

I have an older Viking that is acting up....so, I am looking at my options.

I have a Featherweight that I take for classes. :lol:

I love Featherweights. I love all those old Singer machines. I could become a collector. Problem is, I would be considered a pack rat because I have a problem parting with things I love.
    At my sewing guild, we do some garment sewing and I thought the built in stitches of some of the newer models would be useful.
    Also, because I have a goodly number of Grandchildren, I thought Disney embroidery designs would be fun.
    Disney designs may be my real reason for wanting this machine.....the issue of toting around my big machine may be my justification. I am pretty good at justifying my wants.

Aren't we all! Good at justifying our wants, that is! :lol:

I bought a Janome Jem platinum, just for that reason. Great to travel with, bell sand whistles too! Lightweight and small, love it!

Blog Entries
    I have the Brother SE270D And love it ! Actually I now have three Brothers and love them all. I have never had any major issues with my machines , I just wish I had more time to use them :?
    And have no few that you will become a pest ... that is why we are all here to get help and advice from each other. I ask a LOT of questions also 8)
    Sharon

Featherweights are great for going to classes, if you can find them. Another light weight work horse is the Janome Gem line. I have several ladies in class that bring those and love them.

Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    I bought a Janome Jem platinum, just for that reason. Great to travel with, bell sand whistles too! Lightweight and small, love it!
    i bought the janome jem? gem? gold for my daughter before they had the platinum and loved hers so much i got one for myself for traveling. basic, but smooth and very reliable. it does all my hotel-room piecing. love it.

That is a good one! Small but, very mighty:)If your pocketbook can't handle the price, go check out the 3200....mine fits in the kid's scrapbook bag w/wheels perfect. Both are great machines-Skeat

Hi Butterflywing, Another thing we have in common, I have a Janome Gem too. Got it recently but haven't have the time to really get to know it. Think it will be ideal for classes, workshops and DGD Josi to use when she visits. I have 8 DGDs but she's the only one who is really interested in sewing. May in Jersey

I have a Janome 3500 and love it. Also bought a bag on wheels from Joann's to carry it in. My embrodery machine is too heavy and like you, I don't want to damage it by taking it out of the house. Marge

I have the Janome Platinum Gem and the Bernina Activa 230. They are both great machines.

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    I have a featherweight and love it. Just a great size and weight. My friend has the Janome Gem and if I didn't have the featherweight I would get one of these. She just loves it for traveling. Her larger Bernina stays home as it is just too heavy for her. I also have a Viking Quilt Designer that I tried to take to classes but it got to be too much to take around and was afraid I would wreck it.

I appreciate all the advice. I plan to get out there and test drive a few.

I have the Featherweight and a Janome Gem. I like the Gem for classes. Haven't thot about taking the Featherweight. Went to a quilt show recently and saw at least six vendors using the FW'S.

I have a Bernina 930 and a Viking Designer One which are so heavy, so I went to Wal Mart and bought an inexpensive Brother machine. I think I paid either $119 or $129 for it and it's lightweight (about 10#). But when I took it to class, it really was loud when I sewed. The other girls (I use that term lightly) really teased me about it. It was a good laugh for all of us. Now I just pack up the Bernina which I dearly love when I take a class..

I bought a Janome 760 Platinum GEM several years ago when I retired that I take for classes and retreats and love it. It's only 12 lbs--has 60 stitches and is a real workhorse.
    I believe that Janome has come out with a newer model that several of my friends use for all classes and retreats & they have had no problems.
    My Viking dealer told me once that the larger electronic sewing machines are not made to be moved and carried alot.

Good luck on your decision.

Blog Entries
    I'm with Deedum. I LOVE my Janome Jem Platinum for classes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Icandothat
    I am approaching retirement and am anxious to get back into sewing and quilting. I have a lovely sewing and embroidery machine that I hesitate dragging to classes and sewing guild meetings. Not only is it heavy, but I am concerned that I may damage it.
    I am considering purchasing a smaller machine and would appreciate your input. I am considering a Brother 900D. I think I would enjoy the Disney embroidery options. There are so many options......
    Any thoughts?
    If all you need it for is quilt guild and classes, don't go so expensive with a full on embroidery machine. You already have one of those. Just a simple $200 Brother machine will do wonderfully for those short sewing sessions away from home, and the machine will be light and easy to handle. Also you could consider an older Singer Featherweight or 301, which are also little workhorse straight stitchers and easy to transport.

Blog Entries
    :thumbup: Me too, it's perfect for taking to classes because it only weighs 12 lbs. For a small machine, it does just about anything you need it to!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Icandothat
    Any thoughts?
    I have that machine and love it I do use it to cart around and it works well. I leave the heavy weight Pfaff home.

From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL
    I bought a Sears Kenmore which is a Janome and with machine and extra attachments it was under $100...

Light weight too!!