Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Traveling to Maine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/traveling-maine-t287872.html)

ILoveToQuilt 05-02-2017 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante (Post 7814870)
Dear Quilt30 I am in Norwell, south of Boston. What town is the $2.99 Fabric Shop in?

Auburn, MA...just off the Mass Pike and on Route 12. Personally, I am not impressed with their quilt fabrics. JMHO for what it's worth. (BTW, I lived in Quincy for 30+ years. Miss Saftler's and Quilter's Compass. The South Shore has lost many good LQS in the recent years).

Lucky Lady 05-02-2017 02:54 PM

If you are headed to Bar Harbor be sure to stop at Mardens in Ellsworth. You will go right by it on your way. There are not any campgrounds open until Memorial weekend.

Rhodim 05-03-2017 08:15 AM

Don't Miss Alewives or Mainely Sewing in the Mid-Coast area.

mkc 05-04-2017 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Donnamarie (Post 7814953)
You MUST go to Mardens in Sanford Maine. Its kind of a junk store with a large fabric section with fantastic prices.

Just for those not familiar, Mardens isn't really a "junk" store per se, they specialize in purchasing surplus and salvage lots. They bid and buy merchandise from store closings, insurance claims, etc. When a well-known Sew and Vac had their fire a couple of years ago, all the machines ended up at Mardens (and one came home with me), as well as TONS of feet and other accessories. DH and I spend HOURS looking at all of them - most were new in box. We've gotten great deals on golf equipment (Sun Mountain, Ping, Titleist, etc.). Last year, DH scored some great high end woodworking items that had a (not Maine) state police evidence tag on them. We also just missed the beginning of a great golf equipment acquisition that was mostly sold in their Scarborough store. Earlier this year they announced a huge lot of quilting fabric from an insurance claim (watch their FB page for their deals).

It's kind of a big treasure hunt - you don't know what you'll find there, and if you see it and want it, buy it because it might not be there next time "I should have bought it.... when I saw it... at Mardens" is their theme song ;-)

Michelle

lots2do 05-05-2017 04:10 AM

We scored an ice fishing auger for our son at Marden's once. I also found a flannel I had bought about seven years before for a much better price. Last summer I found YLI silk thread and a bunch of embellishments. They also have yarn. One caution, watch the quality of the fabric. Some is great, some not so much.

Panchita 05-10-2017 02:41 AM

Fabricate in Bar Harbor itself is fun. It's on Mount Desert Street (from memory)

:-)

kwhite 05-21-2017 11:48 AM

Well I am back. I Got sick driving out of the neighborhood and stayed sick for the entire 8 day trip. I passed many quilt shops and had no desire to go into any of them. Total bust!!! thanks for your suggestions though.

AnngelAnne 05-21-2017 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite (Post 7828532)
Well I am back. I Got sick driving out of the neighborhood and stayed sick for the entire 8 day trip. I passed many quilt shops and had no desire to go into any of them. Total bust!!! thanks for your suggestions though.

How sad, not to beable to enjoy the trip even if you didn't shop. Beautiful country and relaxing and you end up being sick thru it all. So very sorry.

kwhite 05-22-2017 04:28 PM

thank you Anne