Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A trick for tangled thread while hand quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trick-tangled-thread-while-hand-quilting-t115832.html)

Maia B 04-13-2011 11:27 AM

Will try this! Have same round of beeswax for umpteen years, just tried Thread Heaven, and when I can, I let the thread dangle. Gotta try the off the spool into the needle tip.

lyndaloo 04-13-2011 11:28 AM

I use a product from Hancock Fabric called "Thread Heaven." It comes in a little dark blue box, and it works great for me. Seems to last forever, too.

BellaBoo 04-13-2011 11:33 AM

I use Thread Heaven. It's great. The quality thread made now has no right or wrong ends. I have been using the waxed thread for hand sewing bindings. It is used for fly fishing lures, it's thin and never knots or twists. I bought a set of 12 different color spools.

Barb44 04-13-2011 11:39 AM

I use beeswax and it works beautifully. I never have tangles.

And I always thread my needle before cutting the thread off the spool. Then it is always going the right way. That's the way the fibers lay. If you do it the other way you are raising fibers that will cause tangling.

monkicat 04-13-2011 11:41 AM

Never heard of that one - great tip, thank you!

hawaiilove 04-13-2011 11:54 AM

Great idea - thanks - I have always used beeswax - or Thread Heaven (I think it is the same thing).

Bluphrog 04-13-2011 12:03 PM

I read through the whole thread to see if anyone would ask, and no one did, so here goes . . . do you use a new dryer sheet or a used one?

I had never heard of tis, but will definitely try it. I don't like using wax or Thread Heaven. It makes the thread feel "heavy" to me. I finally figured out that I give my needle a little twist when I'm pulling the thread through, which causes the twisting. I just have to let the thread hang every once in a while.

quiltinggirl 04-13-2011 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
I read through the whole thread to see if anyone would ask, and no one did, so here goes . . . do you use a new dryer sheet or a used one?

I had never heard of tis, but will definitely try it. I don't like using wax or Thread Heaven. It makes the thread feel "heavy" to me. I finally figured out that I give my needle a little twist when I'm pulling the thread through, which causes the twisting. I just have to let the thread hang every once in a while.

I start with an unused dryer sheet and use it until I notice that it is no longer working. I try to thread the needle through a different section of the dryer sheet each time too. :)

pab58 04-13-2011 12:58 PM

Never heard of that one! I've only used beeswax. ;) Thanks for the tip!! :thumbup:

heyjami 04-13-2011 12:58 PM

It's like you read my mind! I was miserable last night thinking there must be a better way... !!

I need a leather thing for my fingertip too