Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   True for quilting too. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/true-quilting-too-t243228.html)

DOTTYMO 03-15-2014 07:08 AM

I enjoy making flimsy tops using different techniques and patterns.i make all my tops for me how I like it. After wrist surgery I began a reverse applique quilt for me by hand. Then when it wS together and needed more quilting was ready to use the machine, this thread has just made me panic. My friend asked for more quilts at the uttoxeter show staffordshire, it's going to be judged , it was never intended for that it was definately just for my pleAsure, what have I done.

Jan in VA 03-15-2014 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies (Post 6627193)
" Practice any art, singing, music, dancing, acting, drawing, painting, sculpting, poetry, essays, fiction, reportage, no matter how well or badly, not to get money or fame, but to experience becoming, to find out what's inside you, to make your soul grow."

This is a wonderful quote!

There are those of us who have been "practicing" for over 30 years with just this very idea in mind.
Personally, I don't really care how my quilts are "critiqued" by others; they're pretty much made for me, myself and I .... whether I give them away or not. :)

Jan in VA

bearisgray 03-15-2014 07:49 AM

For me, personal growth ( excluding weight gain!) Is important - even though I do have a competitive, perfectionist strreak when it comes to piecing.

I am always pleased with myself when I figure out how to do something new - or when I finally understand the WHY of a concept ( such as why +7/8 inch for HSTs)

tessagin 03-15-2014 07:54 AM

I have always felt "Imperfection is perfectly ok. Therefore I am perfectly imperfect" Nuff said. The Good Lord made me that way.

Dolphyngyrl 03-15-2014 07:58 AM

Sometimes I think we just don't give ourselves credit. I have been at this 10 years and have seen quite an improvement, don't feel my quilts are show worthy, but I think they are closer than they were 10 years ago, and I hope in another 5 years for them to be show worthy.

Onebyone 03-15-2014 08:23 AM

I have won ribbons with some of my quilts and some I hear on lookers say well if this can hang in the show I know my can too! LOL. My Viewer's Choice ribbon means more to me then the Best in Show ribbon I won at the local quilt shows. The VC quilt had points cut off and mismatched seams. I almost didn't enter it.

Divokittysmom 03-15-2014 10:40 AM

My Quilts aren't perfect and never will be. However, every time I make a quilt I learn something! I put that in my brain.... or actually I write it down for further reference... and remember it next time. The next project is better. I look at Quilting as an evolving art. The more time you spend on it, the better your results will be. I always know I can do better so I strive for that. I do love the K.V. quote!
One other thought, I subscribed to a well known blog by a very well known quilter whom I admire very much. After a few weeks I actually felt defeated because this quilter's level is sew sew sewww far above anything I could possibly achieve at this stage of my quilting capabilities. I actually unsubscribed from the blog and am now concentrating on less intense, magnificent over the top, incredible works!! lol I know my quilting skills will continue to improve, when I am ready for more challenging projects I will check back in with that blog and be inspired instead of feeling defeated! JMHO

joy 03-15-2014 10:44 AM

He must have had a great mother .....

luvTooQuilt 03-15-2014 10:54 AM

I make quilts because i enjoy it.. I make them to be loved and use.. I make them to comfort a loved one during a difficult time.. I make them to snuggle under on a cold chilly day.. All of mine are NOT perfect, wonky,cut off points, seams not 1/4 in, mismatched of sorts but they ARE perfect for the loved one its intended for..

Dont be so hard on yourself.. Enjoy what you do, learn, grow, and have fun..

DebbE 03-15-2014 11:50 AM

Absolutely I agree -- I've been quilting for 40 years, and those quilts will never be art quilts or something that will win a prize in a show. The best prize to me is the happy face of the recipient, and hearing (even many years later), "we still have your quilt on the back of our sofa to cuddle in when its cold." It's even better when I get a child's quilt back to replace a worn piece of binding or to restitch something, because it tells me the recipient is loving their quilt to the point where its wearing a bit. I get so much enjoyment out of the making of it, and giving, those gifts of love to others. Someday I'll actually get one made for ME! I've given away every one I've made so far, and it would number in the hundreds with baby quilts counted.