Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   True for quilting too. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/true-quilting-too-t243228.html)

IrishNY 03-15-2014 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by PenniF (Post 6627529)
Here's another....a line from Desiderata - "if you compare yourself to others, you may become vain or bitter - for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself".

I love this quote and try to live by it. Comparing myself to anyone always results in a bad outcome, whether I come out favorably or not. Thanks for the reminder.

Nammie to 7 03-15-2014 11:58 AM

Many times I think my quilting isn't up to par but then I see the looks I get from those I gift them to and realize they are treasured and loved. To me that is what is the most important thing. We all have different tastes and skill levels -- that is ok -- we will continue to grow in our craft. Enjoy what you do.

SouthPStitches 03-15-2014 12:12 PM

Perfect words. I've been quilting for more than 30 years. At least 20 years ago I stopped sucking all the joy out of it by allowing myself to accept that I've done the very best I can on each project. I'll never be great at it and everyone loves what I make for them. I have definitely improved over the years but I'll never win any awards and that's just fine by me.

GrammaNan 03-15-2014 12:28 PM

/" Practice any art, singing, music, dancing, acting, drawing, painting, sculpting, poetry, essays, fiction, reportage, no matter how well or badly, not to get money or fame, but to experience becoming, to find out what's inside you, to make your soul grow."
I really needed to hear that today. Thanks for sharing.

AnnieSue 03-15-2014 03:04 PM

That's something I have to repeat to myself often.

athomenow 03-15-2014 03:57 PM

I quilt for the satisfaction it gives me. If other people like it too that's a bonus. I love having hobbies I can put on hold when I need to and return with great appreciation of creating something. Mine will never win prizes but that's ok. I don't want to make my playtime into a drudgery.

jbaby 03-15-2014 04:59 PM

Agree with all the posters. It's about the journey and not the destination. :) I definitely admire and aspire to reach such levels, but who knows if I'll ever achieve it. We do it because we love it!

DixieDoodle 03-15-2014 05:59 PM

When I fret over some mistake I think I've made in a quilt, my DH says,"You worry too much, it was made with love and no amount of perfection can replace that! Besides I don't see any mistakes!" I love that man!!

earthwalker 03-15-2014 07:08 PM

Too often we cripple ourselves with comparisons and negativity. There's enough people out there in the world to do that...you don't need any input from yourself. Wise words from KV and our fellow QB'ers. Quilt on....and be proud and happy with your work.

ladyjane 03-16-2014 03:14 AM

this is an inspiring topic as i have made my tumbling block quilt for a baby shower and spent 2 days almost crying because i couldnt get it perfect...after all the problems and the ripping out more than i care to mention..I am finished it is far from perfect but i created it and it is made from the heart..so i am better with it now