Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Try a New Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/try-new-batting-t297058.html)

rvsfan 05-21-2018 05:57 AM

Try a New Batting

I'm considering trying this new batting, Fairfield Quilters 80/20, available at our favorite big coupon store. Has anyone used it? and what's your experience? Only batting I have ever used in 12 years is Warm n Natural and looking for what else is out there.

Prism99 05-21-2018 08:16 AM

Fairfield has been around a long time, but I have not tried their 80/20. I have used Hobbs 80/20 and like it much better than Warm n Natural -- much softer drape, and more loft.

ckcowl 05-21-2018 08:38 AM

Fairfield battings have been around for many, many years. Some people like it. It’s my least favorite for longarm quilting, but if you are quilting on a domestic machine it might be ok. Only way to really know is buy one & try it out. Each of us have our favorites, just because I don’t like it doesn’t mean you won’t- they’ve been around a long time for a reason I’m sure.

Austinite 05-21-2018 03:28 PM

I tried Fairfield a long time ago and didn't like it but lots of folks seem to like it. Try it and see what you think

QuiltingVagabond 05-21-2018 04:39 PM

I found a couple of bags of Fairfield in the clearance section of our WM. It is thinner than Warm n Natural but has a nicer drape. I doubled it in one quilt that I made and it was very nice, but as long as you don't need the thickness even one layer was ok and perfect for a summer weight quilt.

SusieQOH 05-21-2018 06:11 PM

I've had several quilts done by MSQC and they use 80/20. I've always been pleased with the results. I'm not sure if it's Fairfield though. Can't recall.

Prism99 05-21-2018 07:10 PM

I found this older thread about Fairfield 80/20 that might be helpful:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f...ng-t46637.html

Jan in VA 05-21-2018 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 8062065)
......I have used Hobbs 80/20 and like it much better than Warm n Natural -- much softer drape, and more loft.

Boy do I agree with you about W&N....it's heavy, it's stiff, it makes good placemats and wall hangings, maybe. I used Hobbs battings for the decades I was in Texas, it's made there, but have learned to love Quilters Dream battings since returning home to Virginia. It's made here in Virginia Beach. I like the packaging better than Hobbs, fewer wrinkles, so I don't have to soak it in the washer and dry it over the furniture overnight! These days I'm only using Quilters Dream Select (loft) cotton batting or QD wool batting in my personal quilts. But I'm tempted to buy the Hobbs fusible batting again, as layering these dang things is getting harder with my age.

Jan in VA

lindaschipper 05-22-2018 03:17 AM

I'm wanting to purchase a roll of batting to use for my Project Linus quilts.....so far I've used Warm and White that I found on close-out at JoAnn's. I bought all that they had (10) and used the last one yesterday. Checked online and Fairfield seemed reasonable priced for what I need it for. I may give it a try, but I want to feel it in person and not order on-line if possible. I'll be watching this post.

coopah 05-22-2018 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 8062460)
Boy do I agree with you about W&N....it's heavy, it's stiff, it makes good placemats and wall hangings, maybe. I used Hobbs battings for the decades I was in Texas, it's made there, but have learned to love Quilters Dream battings since returning home to Virginia. It's made here in Virginia Beach. I like the packaging better than Hobbs, fewer wrinkles, so I don't have to soak it in the washer and dry it over the furniture overnight! These days I'm only using Quilters Dream Select (loft) cotton batting or QD wool batting in my personal quilts. But I'm tempted to buy the Hobbs fusible batting again, as layering these dang things is getting harder with my age.

Jan in VA

I'm at the same points you are, Jan. Quilter's Dream is my first choice, although the Hobbs fusible is good...but just because it's fusible. I can't use the basting spray, because of health issues and I'm just not into the gluing.