Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Try a New Batting

  1. #1
    Super Member rvsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    McKinney TX
    Posts
    1,096
    Blog Entries
    103

    Try a New Batting

    I'm considering trying this new batting, Fairfield Quilters 80/20, available at our favorite big coupon store. Has anyone used it? and what's your experience? Only batting I have ever used in 12 years is Warm n Natural and looking for what else is out there.
    rvsfan
    A Ricky Van Shelton fan

  2. #2
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,955
    Blog Entries
    1
    Fairfield has been around a long time, but I have not tried their 80/20. I have used Hobbs 80/20 and like it much better than Warm n Natural -- much softer drape, and more loft.

  3. #3
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,895
    Blog Entries
    1
    Fairfield battings have been around for many, many years. Some people like it. It’s my least favorite for longarm quilting, but if you are quilting on a domestic machine it might be ok. Only way to really know is buy one & try it out. Each of us have our favorites, just because I don’t like it doesn’t mean you won’t- they’ve been around a long time for a reason I’m sure.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    459
    I tried Fairfield a long time ago and didn't like it but lots of folks seem to like it. Try it and see what you think

  5. #5
    Super Member QuiltingVagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    South Central Indiana
    Posts
    1,496
    I found a couple of bags of Fairfield in the clearance section of our WM. It is thinner than Warm n Natural but has a nicer drape. I doubled it in one quilt that I made and it was very nice, but as long as you don't need the thickness even one layer was ok and perfect for a summer weight quilt.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

  6. #6
    Super Member SusieQOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    8,557
    I've had several quilts done by MSQC and they use 80/20. I've always been pleased with the results. I'm not sure if it's Fairfield though. Can't recall.

  7. #7
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,955
    Blog Entries
    1
    I found this older thread about Fairfield 80/20 that might be helpful:
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f...ng-t46637.html

  8. #8
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    ......I have used Hobbs 80/20 and like it much better than Warm n Natural -- much softer drape, and more loft.
    Boy do I agree with you about W&N....it's heavy, it's stiff, it makes good placemats and wall hangings, maybe. I used Hobbs battings for the decades I was in Texas, it's made there, but have learned to love Quilters Dream battings since returning home to Virginia. It's made here in Virginia Beach. I like the packaging better than Hobbs, fewer wrinkles, so I don't have to soak it in the washer and dry it over the furniture overnight! These days I'm only using Quilters Dream Select (loft) cotton batting or QD wool batting in my personal quilts. But I'm tempted to buy the Hobbs fusible batting again, as layering these dang things is getting harder with my age.

    Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Davenport, Iowa
    Posts
    2,089
    I'm wanting to purchase a roll of batting to use for my Project Linus quilts.....so far I've used Warm and White that I found on close-out at JoAnn's. I bought all that they had (10) and used the last one yesterday. Checked online and Fairfield seemed reasonable priced for what I need it for. I may give it a try, but I want to feel it in person and not order on-line if possible. I'll be watching this post.

  10. #10
    Super Member coopah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Horse Country, FL
    Posts
    7,179
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Boy do I agree with you about W&N....it's heavy, it's stiff, it makes good placemats and wall hangings, maybe. I used Hobbs battings for the decades I was in Texas, it's made there, but have learned to love Quilters Dream battings since returning home to Virginia. It's made here in Virginia Beach. I like the packaging better than Hobbs, fewer wrinkles, so I don't have to soak it in the washer and dry it over the furniture overnight! These days I'm only using Quilters Dream Select (loft) cotton batting or QD wool batting in my personal quilts. But I'm tempted to buy the Hobbs fusible batting again, as layering these dang things is getting harder with my age.

    Jan in VA
    I'm at the same points you are, Jan. Quilter's Dream is my first choice, although the Hobbs fusible is good...but just because it's fusible. I can't use the basting spray, because of health issues and I'm just not into the gluing.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

  11. #11
    Super Member Shorebird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    1,532
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by rvsfan View Post
    I'm considering trying this new batting, Fairfield Quilters 80/20, available at our favorite big coupon store. Has anyone used it? and what's your experience? Only batting I have ever used in 12 years is Warm n Natural and looking for what else is out there.
    Nature's Touch by Pellon is my new favorite batting! Sold by your always coupons big box fabric store...…………….use a 40 or 50% off coupon to try it...………..My favorite is the 80/20 blend......soft, drapes well, little lint, really quilts nicely.

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,291
    My niece was an "experimental"quilter for the company when Warm and Natural first arrived. She liked it and so so I/

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    918
    I have used Fairfield in the past. Did not have any problems with it. Liked it as well as the Hobbs 80/20.

  14. #14
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    33,716
    I mostly use hi-loft poly batting. I have tried a few of the above mentioned battings and still prefer the poly.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

  15. #15
    Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    4,839
    Blog Entries
    37
    not positive, but think it was Fairfield that a customer brought that seems to pull apart fairly easily.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.