Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: New WIP, first try at making flying geese

I have never done flying geese so I am learning as I go, I am a little off, but not too bad for a first try. I am going for a warm fall look for this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

:?:

I hit the wrong button! Was trying to attach and ended up hitting post, they are there now.

Good job!!!And I dont see any little noses cut off or anything :wink: !! How big is going to be? Nice colors!!

This one is going to be a full sized bed quilt. I messed up on matching points when I sewed my rows, but its not that bad. I am pleasantly surprised with myself being this is the first time I have attempted this technique. This part is the center. I am starting center and working out on this one. Most times I work either top to botto or left to right, but decided to try center out this time. I love playing! The squares I used to make these from are from a couple of years ago I won a ton of squares on ebay for $0.99 a pack and just never did use them, I have like at least 1000 of them, unfortunatly the ones we see are the only ones in those colors, there are others that wont match at all so I am getting into some stash to find some things to keep going with this one.

Blog Entries
    Wow, pretty! What method did you use?

I guess you don't have to worry about SS wanting any of your new creations, unless he wants one for different activities. :D

No SS loves his quilt, drags it around like Linus. But I figure my 9 almost 10 year old will try and steal this one if not then DH will!

Looks great!

Hey nice quilt I still haven't gotten the courage to break away from squares and rectangles.

Very nice quilt. Did you see the tute on one seam flying geese some one posted? Very interesting. I am in the block swap and doing things I thought I couldn't do, so glad for the challenge. I love fall colors and if no one in your family "steals" it, it would look great on my antique oak bedroom set.

Cool geese, I've never seen them done that way, I'll bet it's a time saver reather than making individual geese units.

Banned
    i think it looks great. i love the colors too. great job!

Blog Entries
    its looking good to me! I like your colors.

I watched like I think three different tut's about 4 or 5 times each in order to get the courage up to do it. But I think I only confused myself because everyone did it differently. So I ended up just taking the squares I had laying around here for a while and drew a line diag down the center, sewed 1/4 on each side of the line, cut it in half, pressed it in opposite direction, put the corners together and pressed again. If you go to google images and google "Flying Geese Quilt" look at all the bautiful ones there. There is a flag that I HAVE to do and will do next, now that I know I can do this. Here is an updates picture, I have a border on it now and will now go directionion with more geese.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great looking fall quilt, and you definitely are braver than me!!!! Can't wait to see it finished :D

Your flying geese are great!!! And I love the colors. The border really sets it off. Great fall quilt! :)

I love this quilt!! I have often seen flying geese in long rows and would love to make a quilt like that... one day. And the colors - the best!!

Now that I know I can do these, here is the one I seen when I goggled that I wanted to replicate with my own twist: http://www.piecefulquilter.com/star%20salute.jpg

Great job. Love your colors.

That is just beautiful! I love it and I LOVE how you made them with it with the half square triangles!

I can so see myself sitting under that with my hot tea watching Murder She Wrote reruns.

I love your flying geese quilt.

Very pretty!!! I love the border you chose!!! and how perfect are your points!!! Great job!!

The plaid border is perfect with your geese!!!!

Blog Entries
    I LOVE that plaid border! I saw the fabric on the sofa and wondered a) if you were gonna use it on this quilt and b) where can I get some! :lol:

Very nice! I love the idea, and your colors are beautiful for fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Celeste
    I LOVE that plaid border! I saw the fabric on the sofa and wondered a) if you were gonna use it on this quilt and b) where can I get some! :lol:
    It wasnt the sofa! LOL It was my comforter on my bed. It is a purchased comforter although I have seen fabrics close to it.

I have really been strugeeling with this quilt, it is stupposed to have three broders all together. The next thing after that first border is to make geese fly areound that border. Being I dig those squares for those geese out of some squares I purchased a couple of years ago I am not able to get that fabric anymore and nothing I had in thousands of yards of stash struck me kindly enough to use with it so I had to go to this small wal mart about 30 miles from here today and try to find fall fabrics in the summer. Now that was a task. But I managed to skimp a few things together and I hope they flow with it because so far I love how it is looking.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast