Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Trying to decide if I need an Accuquilt cutter . . . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trying-decide-if-i-need-accuquilt-cutter-t95455.html)

Raggiemom 01-31-2011 09:07 AM

I love mine. At the moment, I just use it for strips but I like the fact the strips are actually all the correct size! :)

magpiefeather 01-31-2011 09:07 AM

I pondered that one too. But I "invested" in an Accuquilt Studio which I will use myself and rent out to others for a fee (so far undecided amount). That way I can share the fun! On some of the groups for Accuquilt, I read someone say they only make quilts that can be cut quickly on a Go or Studio. The benefits...cutting multiple pieces by rolling it through a roller! I guess the price is the part no one likes. But in my opinion, it is a time saver and saves wear and tear on my cutting arm and hands, something that with proper care can be used for a long time and is worth the money. Not just a gadget you would use once and throw in a drawer.

pollyjvan9 01-31-2011 09:24 AM

I always weigh the cost of a toy vs more fabric. The fabric usually wins. I do a lot of fusible applique projects and have learned that I can free hand cut a LOT leaves or circles or flowers in a very short time and even though they may a little different they all look okay on the quilt. Also, I get bored using the same shapes and the dies are so expensive I don't think I could afford all the shapes I might want.

BellaBoo 01-31-2011 09:58 AM

The Go is great for me. Honestly I haven't found one quilt pattern I want to make that doesn't have HST, squares, strips, or diamonds in it and the Go dies come in the most used sizes for quilt blocks. I have the Alto cutting system too. It's nice but it takes me longer to cut with it then the Go.

I never turn my nose up at new quilting gadgets or tools, it's fun to see the creativeness of them. If it's a new quilting tool, I want to use it. It may become my best thing ever or it may be in the next yard sale.

crochetetc 01-31-2011 10:12 AM

I have owned mine go baby for less than a month and have worn out a small mat using it to cut up scraps. I am now following Bonnie Hunters leaders and followers because I have the 2" square die. There is no way I would have done this without it. I also invested in the 5" square die to cut out charm squares to send to my ss or just because.

Flying_V_Goddess 01-31-2011 10:40 AM

I thought about buying one. They looked real nice and interesting, but then I had to ask myself "Do I really need this?" No, I am perfectly capable of cutting out my own pieces. Even if it takes longer its still cheaper.

SuzyQ 01-31-2011 10:43 AM

I bought mine because I really don't like to cut and it always seems like my ruler slips when I'm cutting and I get frustrated because my pieces don't line up. I also have the Alto and like it a lot for cutting larger pieces.

Susan

PaperPrincess 01-31-2011 11:10 AM

I've had the Studio cutter for about 10 years (used it for paper crafting) so when I started quilting, I already had the machine, just needed some dies. The thing I like about using the machine is that your cuts are so accurate. You don't have to struggle piecing, easing stuff in etc. because everything fits. I find I have very little to do when squaring up blocks. I just got the 'winding ways' die and the curved pieces just about fall together. I don't think it really makes the cutting all that quicker, but the accuracy is the thing for me, because it really increases my piecing speed. If you are really accurate with your rotary cutter, you are probably fine without it. If, however, you find yourself constantly fighting to make your pieces fit and get those sharp points, then it may be a good investment.

BellaBoo 01-31-2011 11:12 AM

I always felt my time was more valuable then money so anything that saves me time is worth the money.

qwkslver 01-31-2011 11:56 AM

I just got mine Friday. It makes accurate cuts, fast. It may waste a little fabric. Seems I have a lot of throwaway scrap left. I'm having fun with it, but then it's new. If you don't place the selvage right the cuts are not accurate. I like it but it's probably just an overpriced toy I could do without.