Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Trying to learn which fabric brands are best quality (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trying-learn-fabric-brands-best-quality-t143872.html)

Jennifer22206 08-09-2011 11:58 AM

I like Timeless Treasures, Alexander Henry, Starr Fabrics (they're hand dyed), Moda, Kaufmann, South Seas Imports - not all of them.

Heck, I really haven't met a fabric I didn't like. I think for me it depends on the type of quilt I'm making.

Monika 08-09-2011 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
Fabric by P&B, Timeless Treasures, Moda, Kauffman, and Northcott feels like silk. love all of them. Quilt shop quality fabric.

Me too!!

Rose L 08-09-2011 12:03 PM

My rules of thumb...if you can see your hand through it...it's too thin. If you might snag it with your rings...it's too thin. I'm not a fabric snob and look for the best deals but I also want longevity in my quilts so if your iffy about whether it's good quality or not... leave it on the shelf. JMHO.

MellieKQuilter 08-09-2011 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by MIJul
I always end up with Moda...... that's my favorite.

(You're going to get lots of different answers)

:-)

:thumbup:

Me too!

ManiacQuilter2 08-09-2011 12:29 PM

I agree with Rose L. It is just like shopping for a dress. Touch the fabric and you will either love it or leave it. You certainly don't want anything that you can see thru. Hoffman is always been my favorite!! But that is because I love doing watercolor quilts. But I have in my stash most of the fabrics that have been listed. Just think, if men designed the fabrics, we would have to choose from about a dozen plaid fabrics !!! Just a joke !! GOOD LUCK with your fabric choices.

auntmag 08-09-2011 12:38 PM

I don't pay attention to the brand, I go by the feel, color, and texture of the fabric that I am interested in.

romanojg 08-09-2011 12:49 PM

There are alot of them out there. If you are buying in a store like Walmarts then check the quality and the thickness of it. Most LQS have good quality fabric.

Xstitshmom 08-09-2011 12:55 PM

Kaufman, Moda, Quilting Treasures and whatever else fits my fancy!

QuiltE 08-09-2011 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Asking this is like walking into a bar and saying Ford or Chevy?

There will be tons of opinons. I'd say, if it feels good to you, it's OK.

Oh "sew" true!
I've also found that some of the highly touted "labels" are not as great as they are made out to be.

Now that takes us into the Ford or Chevy vs. Mercedes and BMW!

patricej 08-09-2011 01:12 PM

hundreds of us can pile on here to share our lists of favorites. the bottom line, though, is that beauty and quality are in the eye of the beholder.

where you buy it guarantees nothing.
price guarantees nothing.

i would recommend that you cruise quiltshops, chain stores, and clearance pages at the online sites.

as you can afford to, buy a little bit here and there in order to discover what appeals most to you. makes lists and take notes for future reference.

if i want to "test drive" a brand for the first time i will check sites like thousandofbolts.com and quiltinaday.com. they always have oobledy googobs of name brands on sale. consider doing the online fabshophop, too. (don't order anything until you have gone through the whole list of shops. the prices will often vary widely. keep track of the things that interest you and then go back to the shops that had them at the lowest prices.)