Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Trying to learn which fabric brands are best quality (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trying-learn-fabric-brands-best-quality-t143872.html)

judi wess 08-10-2011 05:46 AM

My suggestion is to buy a small amount, take it home and wash it. I recently bought some fabric for pull together and it felt a little "cheesy". For 2 bucks a yard I couldn't pass on it. It went into the machine as soon as I got it home, then to the clothesline. I was pleased that it felt like a much better quality after being washed. Go figure.

judi wess 08-10-2011 05:47 AM

My suggestion is to buy a small amount, take it home and wash it. I recently bought some fabric for pull together and it felt a little "cheesy". For 2 bucks a yard I couldn't pass on it. It went into the machine as soon as I got it home, then to the clothesline. I was pleased that it felt like a much better quality after being washed. Go figure.

Jo Mama 08-10-2011 06:00 AM

Besides Hoffman and Kaufman, I like RJR, Moda, In The Beginning, Westminster, Kona, Benartex, Marcus, Red Rooster and Avlyn. Connecting Threads has nice fab and it is cheap.

mhansen6 08-10-2011 06:11 AM

I have purchased several lines of Blank Quilting fabric. They have fun designs and the quality is great.

momof4 08-10-2011 06:12 AM

My favorites are Marcus and Andover. They both have a wonderful feel to them.

PWinston 08-10-2011 06:48 AM

My top five would be Northcott, Benartex, Red Rooster, Avlyn and Moda for feel. I will purchase any brand of fabric that I like the feel of and that is the color, design that I want. While I do like to "caress" the fabric before purchasing, with limited local availability and also cheaper on-line prices, I do a lot of internet shopping.

EagarBeez 08-10-2011 07:47 AM

I buy fabric because it will go with a planned project and because I like it. I have never been let down. I don't look at the designers names. I have noticed that some fabrics, no matter who the designer is, is getting thinner. Some LQS fabrics are found in Walmart, Joann, Hancock stores, which means paying a bit more for purchases. Good luck to you on whatever you are planning to make

nena 08-10-2011 08:20 AM

Moda for me. I like several but that is my favorite.

bearisgray 08-10-2011 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by judi wess

The reason it "felt better" after washing it is because the fabric may have shrunk some and the threads pulled tighter together causing the fabric to "bulk up" a bit.

Lisa Marie 08-10-2011 08:43 AM

I buy from my LQS or online from a QS. My favorite line is Riley Blake thier fabric has lots of bright colors.. right now I seem to be wanting do quilts with lots of color.