Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Trying to learn which fabric brands are best quality (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trying-learn-fabric-brands-best-quality-t143872.html)

meemersmom 08-10-2011 02:44 PM

I can compare shopping for fabric to shopping for wine...I've have had some delightful vintages that cost no more than $2 or $3 a bottle, just as I've had some pretty awful stuff that sells for $100 a bottle or more. Patrice is right...it's not how much you pay or where you buy it.

Quiltinvaca 08-10-2011 03:01 PM

Like most of the others, I prefer to "fondle" my fabric. When I buy online, I generally stick to the well-known names. My opinion is that the "better" (more expensive) brands are usually of a higher thread count. Sort of like shopping for sheets -- would you pick a 200 thread count over a 400-500 thread count?

Some of the quilts I made 20-30 years ago are simply rotting away because I used really cheap fabric from Ben Franklin or Sprouse Ritz stores. Now when I shop for fabric, I first decide if I want the quilt to last 100 years or more. If so, I buy the best fabric I can afford. When making a picnic blanket or a toss-around quilt for a child, I don't hesitate to use inexpensive fabric.

lfw045 08-10-2011 03:09 PM

Kona Bay especially the Nobu Fujiyama Collection, Jinny Beyer, those are my favorites.

GG 08-10-2011 05:24 PM

moda and red rooster normally and if I am doing to do the work I don't want to worry about it

AnnaF 08-10-2011 07:03 PM

I like Hoffman, Kaufman, Maywood Studio always gets an A+++, RJR, Timeless Treasures, Henry Glass to mention a few. After you've handled fabric awhile you'll discover that some fabrics just "feel" better to you, they have a nice "hand". Lesser quality usually have a lower thread count and are harsh to the hand. The print may not follow the grain.

#1piecemaker 08-10-2011 07:31 PM

I can tell by the feel if its good quality or not. But, I don't buy anything I can see through.

kaykwilts 08-11-2011 03:26 AM

Moda for solids...and Robert Kaufman for every thing else....just love the way these two fabric lines feel!!

NJ Quilter 08-11-2011 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1

Originally Posted by cmw0829
I have found selected bolts of many of the "best" brands to be less than what I expected. Which explains why I'm reluctant to buy on-line unless I've been able to experience the fabric in person.

I had my heart set on a line and was planning to use it for a gift - until I finally saw it in person this past weekend. It was so thin and flimsy. Back to square 1.

Cathy

I have the same problem -- I like to feel and see the fabric before I buy it. That said, I will buy on line if it is a fabric that I have already seen/felt if I decide I want it and no LQS near me is carrying it.

Me as well. Guess I'm just too tactile plus I like to know the true colors of what I'm buying which is impossible when buying online. I'm not a stash shopper - I buy only for projects so typically don't buy 'lines' of fabric...just different fabrics that the colors play nicely together. Since I'm fortunate enough to be able to make it to Lancaster easily I usually buy there. LQS quality at much better prices. Makes up for my gas cost in getting there.

SharonTheriault 08-11-2011 05:48 AM

I really like Northcott for the feel and quality. I like Wilmington too. And Moda of course. It just depends on what you are going to use it for, are the colors and theme what you want? And of course you don't want it to be too flimsy or thin.

Mousie 08-11-2011 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
Fabric by P&B, Timeless Treasures, Moda, Kauffman, and Northcott feels like silk. love all of them. Quilt shop quality fabric.

me too, but I do love other stuff.
It's all personal preference. It does help to shop in person, but I have got some really nice stuff online.
I just have to curb my impulsiveness online and be real choosy.
I remind myself when I'm tempted to throw caution aside and just 'go for it', that with caution, you can afford more, and will like it all more ;-)