Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Trying to meander and THIS happened... (help) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trying-meander-happened-help-t194922.html)

HilaryK8 07-17-2012 05:51 PM

Okay, Next question then... this really only happened in two areas. The whole FMQ was done in one session so it's one continuous thread. If I rip out just one area how do I tack down the rest of the thread so it doesn't unravel with time? I am going to continue to practice before I do this "for real" again.

This is WAY harder than people make it look on you tube. :D

CoyoteQuilts 07-17-2012 06:19 PM

Top tension is to loose because you forgot to put your pressure foot down.... It is the most common reason for eyelashes.

RkayD 07-17-2012 06:35 PM

Love that fabric! =)

Sewfine 07-17-2012 07:09 PM

I have the same problem. I am going to practice some more too.

Holice 07-17-2012 07:18 PM

i havn't read al the responses but did you do a practice piece before you tried the real thing? If not one must always practice first and work out the errors before tryig on the final piece. My opinion is rip it ript rit it befaue it will not be strong enough to hold up. and can get snagged in use.

DogHouseMom 07-17-2012 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5373144)
This is totally not a tension problem. You're moving the quilt sandwich too fast for the speed of the needle. Fast needle, slow hands.

Agree 100%

If it was a tension issue you would see it happening with the areas that were straight as well as the curves. Because it is only happening with the curves I agree that it your hand speed is too fast for your machine speed.

It's usually best to increase the machine speed as opposed to decreasing the hand speed - but your hand speed should decrease a smidge when you go around curves.

sylviak 07-17-2012 07:53 PM

When you go back to re-meander (is this a word??), start a half inch or so back and go over the stitching. Then when you get back to the stitching again, go a bit further over the stitching. That should secure the stitching.

Also, does your machine have a little lever for increasing or decreasing the speed? Be sure it is on the fastest setting. You might try experimenting with increasing the top tension and see it that helps, but eyelashes tend to happen on curves because you will have a tendency to speed up as you make the curve. Keep the machine at the same speed and move your fabric at an even speed. Some people listen to music to keep their speed even!

Grace MooreLinker 07-18-2012 03:52 AM

I found going to fast caused the eye lashing, when I first started to FHQ.

kuntryquilter 07-18-2012 03:53 AM

Your top tension is too loose or the thread has slipped out of the tension disk. This happened to me and after I tightened the top tension 1 full turn, no more eyelashes.

helenquilt 07-18-2012 04:06 AM

If you have a knee lift for your presser foot be sure you are not leaning on it