Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   trying not to waste batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trying-not-waste-batting-t57791.html)

Renakr 08-04-2010 09:23 AM

Now that we are buying batting by the yard and not the package.....how does everyone try to use as much as you can without being wasteful.....sorry if this is a dumb question...I have several quilts that I have to make..mostly baby quilts...and I don't want to waste batting...I want to be able to get the most out of what I buy since it is expensive....it's not bad at Joanns when you use a coupon....and suggestions are very appreciated....
Thanks Domi

mlaceruby 08-04-2010 09:31 AM

Well I save all my extra pieces to use with table runners,potholders,pillows, rag quilts, christmas ornaments etc
I always find a use for it!

JudyG 08-04-2010 09:33 AM

And you always need some for practice on machine quilting.

Jim's Gem 08-04-2010 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
Well I save all my extra pieces to use with table runners,potholders,pillows, rag quilts, christmas ornaments etc
I always find a use for it!

Same here, also place mats. Have used them for dusting and even tied a bunch in a ball for the dogs to play with.

belmer 08-04-2010 09:34 AM

Be sure to save all the smaller trimmings and pieces from bigger cuts. You can butt them up together and sew them together to make larger pieces for table toppers, coasters, candle mats and smaller crafts.

momymom 08-04-2010 09:42 AM

I save all the long narrow peices and zig zag them together for a full size batt. After the quilt is finished, you can't tell it's peiced. Just make sure it's all one brand and loft. I like heavily quilted quilts, that helps hide the batting being peiced also.

ckcowl 08-04-2010 09:43 AM

i save all of the pieces i cut off finished quilts and keep them, then when i have smaller (like kid's quilts) projects i get into my 'scrap-bag' and find pieces that are about the same weight (i use lots of different battings so always have choices to pick from) i put the pieces side by side edges butted up to each other and use a wide zigzag to stitch the pieces together until it is the right size for what i am working on. really small pieces i use in table runners, placemats, coasters ect. but if the piece is long and at least 6" wide i save it for pieced batts.

Renakr 08-04-2010 09:50 AM

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions....wouldn't have this problem if I was a millionaire.....

Domi

Rebecca VLQ 08-04-2010 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by momymom
I save all the long narrow peices and zig zag them together for a full size batt. After the quilt is finished, you can't tell it's peiced. Just make sure it's all one brand and loft. I like heavily quilted quilts, that helps hide the batting being peiced also.

Yup! :D

Rebecca VLQ 08-04-2010 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Renakr
Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions....wouldn't have this problem if I was a millionaire.....

Domi

Millionaires are millionaires because they watch their pennies! :D :D :D