Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tsunami Quilt Update (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tsunami-quilt-update-t9046.html)

pocoellie 07-16-2008 12:21 PM

When is your friend's birthday? Don't have a heart attack stressing over it. If it's a little late, I'm sure she'll understand.

kacie 07-16-2008 12:31 PM

I can't even tell you the number of times someone has opened a quilt gift from me and then had to give it back so I could finish it. Better that than stressing, hurrying, and making mistakes, which usually ends up with me not really liking something I was very excited about to begin with. Slow down a little, relax, enjoy the process. Give her the unfinished quilt for her birthday, and then when you give it to her finished, it will be like getting a second gift. She'll get to experience the anticipation of something incredible.

Flying_V_Goddess 07-16-2008 12:32 PM

September 2

Barb M 07-16-2008 01:07 PM

Seriously, i would not worry about washing the black fabric. I would carry on exactly how you have been making it. The colours that run the most are usually reds and burgandy's, and you washed the red, which is most important. Just carry on exactly like this, and when the quilt is finished, there is something that can be put in the wash with it the very first time to stop the colours from running

nor'easter 07-16-2008 01:11 PM

Sorry, Kona Cotton black shrinks and does run a bit. Goddess, you have a PM.

Barb M 07-16-2008 01:16 PM

oh ok, i wasnt thinking about shrinkage, good thought...could she try washing one of her blocks that is made, and see if it shrinks?

zyxquilts 07-16-2008 08:59 PM

One year I made quillows for my sister, niece & great-nephews....but what they actually got was a certificate & a sample of the fabrics I was using for each one! None of them complained & they're still using them. It's a thought anyway, instead of totally stressing yourself out when you should be having fun with your family & eating all that good food!
:wink:

reneebobby 07-17-2008 02:54 AM

Don't worry all will be fine I would wash it like everyone says and they have this stuff in the store called dye catcher you throw in the wash and it will grab any dye that comes out in the wash, then pray and keep fingers crossed in the dryer. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your quilt.

Flying_V_Goddess 07-19-2008 05:12 PM

I got the black fabric washed. I should be okay with what I have left. I only needed 6 3/8 yards of the black, but rounded it up to 7 yards (just in case something like this happened). I don't think I cut more than half a yard (if that).

Lucky Patsy's 07-19-2008 06:49 PM

If any of your relatives at the anniversary are quilters, maybe you could use their sewing machine and even recruit them for an afternoon of helping you out. Just a thought, it could be fun and you might get a lot done.