Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tsunami Quilt Update

I got my test blocks done. :wink: I'd show you pictures if I could, but no working camera on hand right now (it sucks, I know). I'll definatly show pictures of progress on the actual quilt.

The Virginia Reel block was easier than I thought and the points of my Pinwheel didn't quite match up (a couple got "eaten" in the seam). So I think its going to be okay. But I'm kind of skeptical if I'll get it done. I have three blocks to finish for this week (I went for the Virginia Reels) and I just have the red cut out for them (no black yet) and it took me a while to just get that cut out. And after this week I'm doing 2 blocks a day for four weeks. It took me a while just to cut out one fabric for three blocks...I'll have to do that like everyday. I'm not sure if I can do two blocks a day because of the time its taking to get them cut out and sewn together, but I'm gonna try. The only thing that's really going to slow me down is my great aunt/uncle's 50th wedding anniversery...three hours away from here. I'm gonna get a lot of templates traced out onto fabric the night before so I can do come cutting work in the car, but I can only do so much without a sewing machine. Hopefully it won't slow me down too much.

This quilt sounds amazing, I cannot wait to see photos!

I hope it turns out that way.

That's great. Hopefully you will be able to stick to your schedule. Or if you have a sow week, get caught up after that. Good luck!

The only thing I'm really worried about is the 50th wedding anniversary next weekend. Usually when we head out that way (close to the Green Bay area) we stay at my aunt's house. I found out today that we're going to stay there from Saturday through Monday. That's 6 blocks I'm going to miss (provided I'm not behind). I probably won't get anything done while I'm there because of family I haven't seen in like forever (and I can only do so much without my sewing machine). That's why I'm going to work in the car since its like three hours to get there.

I'm almost done with my three blocks for this week. They're turning out okay, but I really had to burn the midnight oil...I think I started at 1 in the morning and got halfway done with them at 4:30. So it seems to be going really slow. As soon as I get done with these I'm starting another batch...as long as nothing goes wrong. Getting more done this week should help with my quotas for the next four weeks. :)

Sounds like you have good working plan FVG :-) Think of your weekend family party as a little break, so you don't get burned out. :mrgreen:

Haven't gotten around to finishing those blocks yet, but cut out about 348 inches of binding strips (need about 392" if I'm doing my math right). For some reason it seems like it took longer to get binding strips for the last quilt cut out...and it was smaller than this one. :?

The thing is I'm not sure if I can afford to take a long break. I'm cutting it close as it is. But I'm kind of "required" to be at this anniversary party. That and there's family I want to see and I'll go wherever there's food (I think with my stomach half the time...I can't tell you how many times I've been bribed with Chinese food...sometimes I wonder why I'm so skinny). So I can't get out of it because of obligation and don't want to get out of it because of family and good food (they kind of go hand in hand on my mom's side). So I'm worried that this will really screw me up...big time. Espessily if I fall behind next week (that's when I really start picking up the pace on block making).

Well, enjoy your trip but would love to see some pics.

Is this quilt for a special occasion? Don't kill yourself over it. Whoever it's for, will understand if it's a little late. I've done quilting under deadlines, and it seems I make more mistakes and things go wrong. Don't worry about it so much.

Its for my friend's birthday, which is a week after her due date so I wanted to give her something special.

I really ****ed up. My blocks came out perfect, but when I started getting ready for another batch I realized something.......I never prewashed my black fabric. I washed my red fabric and the extra wide cotton sateen for the back, but not the 7 yards of black for the top. I was so mad at myself. Now I gotta go back and wash it. I think I'll still have enough fabric to work with because I got a little extra (rounded it up to the nearest yard) and I think I can still make my quota for this week, but it still ticks me off because this ruins the work I've done so far (except my binding strips) and I was hoping to get farther ahead than what I planned.

When is your friend's birthday? Don't have a heart attack stressing over it. If it's a little late, I'm sure she'll understand.

I can't even tell you the number of times someone has opened a quilt gift from me and then had to give it back so I could finish it. Better that than stressing, hurrying, and making mistakes, which usually ends up with me not really liking something I was very excited about to begin with. Slow down a little, relax, enjoy the process. Give her the unfinished quilt for her birthday, and then when you give it to her finished, it will be like getting a second gift. She'll get to experience the anticipation of something incredible.

September 2

Seriously, i would not worry about washing the black fabric. I would carry on exactly how you have been making it. The colours that run the most are usually reds and burgandy's, and you washed the red, which is most important. Just carry on exactly like this, and when the quilt is finished, there is something that can be put in the wash with it the very first time to stop the colours from running

Banned
    Sorry, Kona Cotton black shrinks and does run a bit. Goddess, you have a PM.

oh ok, i wasnt thinking about shrinkage, good thought...could she try washing one of her blocks that is made, and see if it shrinks?

One year I made quillows for my sister, niece & great-nephews....but what they actually got was a certificate & a sample of the fabrics I was using for each one! None of them complained & they're still using them. It's a thought anyway, instead of totally stressing yourself out when you should be having fun with your family & eating all that good food!
    :wink:

Don't worry all will be fine I would wash it like everyone says and they have this stuff in the store called dye catcher you throw in the wash and it will grab any dye that comes out in the wash, then pray and keep fingers crossed in the dryer. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your quilt.

I got the black fabric washed. I should be okay with what I have left. I only needed 6 3/8 yards of the black, but rounded it up to 7 yards (just in case something like this happened). I don't think I cut more than half a yard (if that).

If any of your relatives at the anniversary are quilters, maybe you could use their sewing machine and even recruit them for an afternoon of helping you out. Just a thought, it could be fun and you might get a lot done.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
    If any of your relatives at the anniversary are quilters, maybe you could use their sewing machine and even recruit them for an afternoon of helping you out. Just a thought, it could be fun and you might get a lot done.
    Most of my relatives are coming from other areas. My great aunt and uncle (who are having the anniversary) and my aunt and uncle would be the only one who actually live in the area where we are traveling to (Suring, WI...its about 40 miles from Green Bay, I think). I doubt my aunt has a sewing machine (I've never seen an interest in craft related stuff...her skills are more in music---guitar, banjo, accordian, and I think drums---and farming)...we always stay with her when we're up there. My great aunt might have a sewing machine. Other than her, I really don't know of anyone who might be into quilting. Besides, as far as the actual construction of the quilt, I like to do it on my own.

Actually, I'm having doubts if I'll get anything done while I'm there. Seems like when I bring my "work" with me anywhere (drawing, quilting, etc.) with the intention of getting something done I never get around to it. Espessily when its a get together with my mom's side of the family. Get to talking to people, trying out the food (food's a big thing in this family, which only makes me glad I'm blessed with good metabolism), usually Aunt Cindy and Uncle Gary whip out the accordian and banjo and start playing for people standing around the couch, etc. There's always something going on. I guess that's why I never get board, despite the fact my aunt and uncle live on a small farm not too far from a town where the population doesn't reach triple digits.

sounds like a good place to relax, and quit stressing about getting the quilt done. You can let them know that you're making them a surprise but that it will be late. I'm sure they'll love it. If you have a block done, maybe you could show them a sample of the quilt.

I keep telling myself I'll be okay, I'll get it done on time...then I get to thinking about all the work that needs to get done and it seems overwhelming. I don't think about it so much when I'm actually quilting, but when I'm doing other stuff or away from the house...I'd be lying if I said it didn't sit in the back of my mind somewhere. So far I've declined a few offers to stay at a friend's house on the account that "I have to get home so I can work on Deni's quilt". lol.

I got another batch started up. I got enough to make up for the ones I had to do last week, for today, and half of Monday. I'm finding that trying to do two a day is kind of hard for me...but somehow I can do anywhere between 4-6 about every other day :?. I think if I do that I can still get my weekly quotas in and a little extra.

Can't wait for that anniversary party. Between the quilting, mom going through "the change", one younger brother going through his teenage years, other younger brother having more "austistic fits" lately, screwing up my back while staying at a friend's house for two days and sleeping on a couch that was too small and a recliner...I'm gonna need that good food at the party. :mrgreen:

I got my first batch of blocks done. Okay, almost got them done. I still have two pieces to go on one block. I tried to do them all at once, but I kept running out of pins to have the next set of pieces to them so one or two got behind the rest. That and I have to cut out a couple more triangles to finish, though I swore I cut out enough of 'em.

They're looking good. :mrgreen: The only problem I have is...I'm not sure how to describe it...some of the triangles are making these "burs" on my Virginia Reels. Eh, if I can borrow my friends camera for the anniversary party I'll snap a few pictures. Its not much of a problem and might not be noticeable once the whole quilt is put together, but its one of those things I notice and it sort of bugs me. Other than that, they look fine (still got to measure them out to make sure they're the right size...they better be or I'll be so angry).

Everything will be fine. I can't wait to see this quilt hurry up and borrow the camera the suspense is killing me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast