Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Twin Needle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/twin-needle-t65125.html)

nativetexan 09-16-2010 06:22 PM

or depending on the size of your twin needles, they could be used to stitch packaged pre made bias binding down.

tooMuchFabric 09-16-2010 07:13 PM

Twin needles also make beautiful pintuck effect for heirloom sewing.

ckcowl 09-17-2010 06:23 AM

twin needles are also great for stitching down the (leading) bias tape that you use for stained glass applique! fun and fast.

sandpat 09-17-2010 06:28 AM

I love playing with the twin needles! I've used them to sew bindings down and to create "special" effects when playing with threads. It helps to use stabalizer under your stitches if you don't want that tunnel effect.

You might want to check with the Brother dealer to make sure your particular machine will accomodate the twin needles before you use it though. I didn't know if you bought the whole shebang from a dealer or individual. Have fun though!

dungeonquilter 09-17-2010 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
I found this note on a website, when searching for the use of twin needles.

Note: Twin needles are ONLY for machines with the bobbin located in the front.

Does this mean the bobbin is inserted from the front rather than the top? My machine came with a twin needle, but the bobbin in loaded on top.

I have successfully used a twin needle on my Pfaff, which does not have the bobbin located in the front. I used it for my avatar picture. They are great for stitching down the bias tape.

martha jo 09-17-2010 06:31 AM

We used them years ago when we did Heirloom Sewing on tucks and such. I had an 830 Bernina then and that was in the early 80's.

featherweight 09-17-2010 06:35 AM

I have a Viking and a Brother. They are both top load bobbins and they both sew with a double needle.

AnnaK 09-17-2010 06:36 AM

Can someone tell me how one threads a twin needle? I've never used it but have been curious. Do you need two thread sources? And do you take both threads thru all the same channels. If so, how do they not get tangled up in 'the works'? And how does one bobbin take care of 2 stitches. What does the bottom look like? So many questions. A tutorial would be great. Please?

dkabasketlady 09-17-2010 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
Can someone tell me how one threads a twin needle? I've never used it but have been curious. Do you need two thread sources? And do you take both threads thru all the same channels. If so, how do they not get tangled up in 'the works'? And how does one bobbin take care of 2 stitches. What does the bottom look like? So many questions. A tutorial would be great. Please?

You might want to post your own thread with ALL your questions on it!!! I also have a machine that will use a twin needle, but have never used this feature yet. I'd be interested in a tute also!!

dungeonquilter 09-17-2010 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by AnnaK

Check with your machines instruction book. On mine, I use two spool holders, there are two paths for the thread on the top of the machine, but they both go through the tension disks the same path. Then through separate needles. On the bottom, the bobbin thread kind of looks like a ladder.
Each machine would be different for threading the top.