Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Two-color Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/two-color-quilts-t319791.html)

TheMerkleFamily 12-26-2022 03:19 PM

Two-color Quilts

There's a little baby boy coming in our extended family and I'd like to make him a simple, modern-ish blue/white quilt. The younger mothers always tell me they like the simpler, geometric or abstract designs and I'm looking for some inspiration.

I'm considering this Playroom Quilt Pattern by Rebecca Bratburd of SewnHandmade but would love ideas and/or pictures of quilts made from my talented fellow QB ladies & gents.

Thank you in advance for sharing your ideas!

cat-on-a-mac 12-26-2022 06:33 PM

I love the pattern you found! Seems like it surely fits the bill!

Tartan 12-26-2022 06:38 PM

Interesting pattern! The houndstooth pattern looks good in 2 colours.

WMUTeach 12-27-2022 05:53 AM

The mothers may like geometric patterns but this is a quilt for a child not the mom. Young children thrive on the solid and concrete in their world. The quilt does not have to be "cutie" animals or trains or trucks or boats or dolls or unicorns. The two colors holds lots of potential if you vary the tones and prints within the color you choose. It would be visually interesting to a child who does not look at the quilt as a whole but in smaller segments as it is snuggled, bundled and tossed a mound in their bed Just my thoughts influenced by years of teaching infant and toddler development. What ever quilt you make will be made with love and affection and that will make it perfect.

TheMerkleFamily 12-27-2022 08:59 AM

Thanks WMUTeach for your child development input - often an overlooked factor these days.

MaryKa 12-27-2022 02:58 PM

Check out the Jigsaw puzzle quilt from the Spruce Crafts. It's also a free download and I think it's cute.

GingerK 12-27-2022 03:45 PM

As a Nana, I have to agree with WMUTeach. Babies love bright colours. But looking at the pattern you are interested in, why not throw in all sorts of bright coloured shapes instead of the black shapes. I think it would be very stimulating.

sewingpup 12-27-2022 04:51 PM

When I gift a quilt for a baby, I like to give them one big enough to use as a floor blanket and later as a nap quilt when they are older. I have given 'I spy quilts" with different colors and things like dogs, cats, ducks, trucks, cows, ect. Feedback I get is that the quilts are good for placing a baby on the floor when little and as they get older helps them learn colors, and words and later is fun activity as the mom asks "where is the cow?"

WMUTeach 12-27-2022 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup (Post 8582278)
When I gift a quilt for a baby, I like to give them one big enough to use as a floor blanket and later as a nap quilt when they are older. I have given 'I spy quilts" with different colors and things like dogs, cats, ducks, trucks, cows, ect. Feedback I get is that the quilts are good for placing a baby on the floor when little and as they get older helps them learn colors, and words and later is fun activity as the mom asks "where is the cow?"

I don't want to stray from the "two color quilt" that started this thread. But I agree with sewingpup that babies and young enjoy the colors and prints in "I Spy" quilts and they can be terrific learning tools that are just fun. Floor quilts are a good choice. I made one that my son gifted to a friend's baby and without my knowing it, it fit perfectly into a play pen. Who knew that any one even used playpens any more! Can't locate the photo but I was about 48" square and all reproduction prints in reds, whites, and blues.

wesing 12-28-2022 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love the graphic nature of this quilt and I think a kiddo (and mom) would love it too. You could spice it up a bit by using a print for one or both of the fabrics.