Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   two for the price of one (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/two-price-one-t180369.html)

JabezRose 02-25-2012 07:20 AM

A lot of my scrap stash comes from math miscaluations on the material.

oldquilter 02-25-2012 07:32 AM

Oh, wow, much better than coming up short. Once I did that and used some of the squares for nice tote bags. What a bargain on the fabric, by the way!

fishhavengirl 02-25-2012 08:15 AM

LOL...sorry to laugh, but that's usually my trick. So, that's why I have my friend do the math for me. She has and engineering back round and is a mathlete. Makes my life so much easier and she loves doing the figures...go figure;0)

OHSue 02-25-2012 08:41 AM

One for the friend, one for you! Sounds like a great deal to me!

kathdavis 02-25-2012 08:42 AM

You almost have the back of the quilt done now. Just use the rest of the blocks and add a border.

Annaquilts 02-25-2012 08:44 AM

LOL You don't want to know how often I have had that happen but only over the last 3 years or so. I thought, I must be getting old. It is always nice to have some blocks on hand and ready for a top.

w7sue 02-25-2012 09:29 AM

I think I am doing the same thing right now ... I purchased a pattern for a block - a bouquet of balloons (23 of them are in each block). So ... I pull out my box of 30's fabrics and start sorting. I find my scrapbooking punch and punch out A LOT of 1" circles to use as templates (see, I run a basting thread around the circle and pull it up around the template, then press. Let the circle rest (cool down), then remove and move on). I started cutting circles out, asked a friend for her stash too and am still cutting circles. I save those nice pill bottles and I now have three of them full of circles to make into balloons. I am still cutting, I will have enough to make my quilt (probably however many I want) and to share with the next person. I am using any pieces that are small enough to cut one or two out of before tossing the rest. It has been fun to fussy cut some of my little circles. The original quilt (an antique) does not have any sashings between the blocks and has A LOT of blocks. I am considering making 12 blocks and adding a sashing - but, with the number of circles I am cutting out, I may HAVE to make one like the original quilt. I wonder if I will still be adicted to applique when I am done with this one - lol If anyone is interested in the pattern, I purchased it at Latimer Quilt & Textile Center in Tillamook, Oregon. I believe they also have the original quilt in their collection.

MargeD 02-25-2012 09:30 AM

Well, that's a pretty big oops, but I've made one too many blocks myself. I make family reunion quilts every 2 years and the last 3 have been king size because I got carried away. If I were you, I'd finish both, the king and the double, the double might come in handy for a wedding gift one day or a birthday resent. This new math can get you every time.

nhnative 02-25-2012 09:34 AM

That was a pleasant surprise

ScrappyAZ 02-25-2012 10:00 AM

Wow, wondering if that's an Arizona thing! I made about 12 extra blocks on a quilt that I'm currently working on. Of course, it was my own fault. I started the blocks about six months ago, put the blocks away and totally forgot I made them. You'd think that when I started making the blocks last month that it would seem familiar to me, but nope.

Where did you find fabric for $1.50/yard?