Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tying a quile (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tying-quile-t75525.html)

Lilrain 11-13-2010 10:20 PM

I prefer light weight crochet cotton for tying, with a large eyed needle. The yarn seems to matt up after a few washings and end up in little balls. And if for some reason the yarn comes out it leaves a much bigger hole in the fabric.

tweety2 11-14-2010 02:27 PM

Hi Patched,
I tie all of my quilts and it doesn't matter how
big they are. I use embroidery thread. It works
well for me. Good luck. Shirley

Patched 11-14-2010 03:38 PM

Thanks for the help. I appreciate all of it very much. I have finished the quilt. I use pearle cotton. I to have used yarn and I agree it does not look good after a few washes. I also have used embroidery floss for baby quilts and it worked very good. THis is the first time I have used pearle cotton, hope it works well. Thanks, again.

Lilrain 11-14-2010 03:59 PM

i think the perle cotton will work quite well, very similar to chrochet cotton,

mayday 11-18-2010 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Peggy
I personally do not care for the look of yarn ties on quilts. I tie most of mine - large lap size - with 6 strands of DMC embroidery floss. Have begun matching the yarn color to the block(s), and you do not even notice the ties. Will have multiple color stitches showing on the back, but that does not bother me or anyone else. These are not going to be judged - just snuggled under. Another good choice is pearl cotton strands.

May we see some pics plse, sounds good.

Patched 11-18-2010 04:27 AM

I want to thank everyone for their comments on the tying subject and the JoAnn's subject. I was going to post a picture of the quilt, but it was for someone else and they picked it up before I could get a picture. I think it turned out very good. My main concern is will it stand up after repeated use and washings. I hope so. And I have started to receive emails from JoAnn's. Again "Thank You" for all your comments. This board is the greatest.

Peggy 11-18-2010 04:33 AM

I have a new printer. As soon as I master the process, I will do that. Thank you for your interest.

Lilrain 11-18-2010 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
I use crochet thread, pearl cotton, embroidery floss, or Pretty Punch yarn.....
Have tied up to king size. but usually use blankets instead of batting for tied quilts, as you can space much further apart--plus NEVER any bunching, etc.
My favorite tip---a drop of fray check on each knot to keep them tied----drop it on when trimming them so I know it is done! Wash them and wash them, and they stay tied!

love the fray check tip

Peggy 11-19-2010 04:44 AM

If you will send me your address by private message, I will send you a photo of what one looks like by doing this.

elsieirene 11-20-2010 06:31 PM

I have made 4 lgr quilts 2 king and 2 queens and a number of baby quilts, and tied with yarn, but my quilts were heavy quilts
made from used jeans, I tied with 6ply yarn that is what I had.
I made two twin and tied them also.

I tie mine about 4" a part. I like to do my tying stagered on the quilt. I also made different colored button from polamar clay to tie with. You can use old buttons also but it is alot if work on a lgr quilt.

Have fun and enjoy.