Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tying a quile (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tying-quile-t75525.html)

Patched 11-10-2010 11:06 AM

I want to know what you use to tie a quilt, embroidery floss, yarn or what. Also how big is to big to tie a quilt, is 73 x 92 to big to tie or what is the biggest size. Also I have signed up twice at JoAnn's and still have not received any thing on the computer or in the mail. No coupons, no newsletters or no fliers in the mail. What do I need to do? Thank you all for your help with my questions, but most of all thank you for sharing all of your projects and all of the helpful advice. I also like the fact that you treat everyone alike, that no question is to dumb. Thanks, again.

mysippycup2 11-10-2010 11:12 AM

I will be watching this thread because I am wondering about tying a quilt also.
I too signed up for Joanns and just realized they were going to my spam folder. I have yet to recieve anything in the mail. The girl at Joanns told me to sign up again at the store without an email address.

Kat Sews 11-10-2010 11:12 AM

I have tied quilts as large as king size. I use yarn, but make sure that it is 3 ply like baby yarn because 4 ply yarn sometimes unties it's self.

DawnMarie 11-10-2010 11:12 AM

I've used both embroidery floss and yarn to tie quilts. I feel that the embroidery floss has a less invasive presence on the quilt than yarn does. As long as you have the quilt basted well, and your tying is at regular intervals in accordance with the suggestions on the batting package, it shouldn't matter the size. :) Good luck!

MadQuilter 11-10-2010 11:17 AM

My MIL just bought a quilt and it was tied with a relatively thick yarn. The yarn unravelled and looked messy imho. I also question if the distance between ties is too large.

Read the directions on your batting and make sure that you stick to the minimum requirements (or better).

amma 11-10-2010 11:22 AM

Embroidery floss, baby yarn and like MadQuilter said, read the requirements on the batting and follow that or closer :wink:
You can tie any sized quilt, they have been doing it forever!! :D:D:D

GrannieAnnie 11-10-2010 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Patched
I want to know what you use to tie a quilt, embroidery floss, yarn or what. Also how big is to big to tie a quilt, is 73 x 92 to big to tie or what is the biggest size. Also I have signed up twice at JoAnn's and still have not received any thing on the computer or in the mail. No coupons, no newsletters or no fliers in the mail. What do I need to do? Thank you all for your help with my questions, but most of all thank you for sharing all of your projects and all of the helpful advice. I also like the fact that you treat everyone alike, that no question is to dumb. Thanks, again.

My sis in law and I aren't hand quilters. WE've done every size of quilt. We use embrodery floss or a mid weight crochet cotton. You've got more color choices with the floss. I've never tried pearl cotton but that would also be a choice.

Hint, keep a pair of pliers for pulling needle thru tough seams.

Patched 11-10-2010 11:42 AM

I am planning on using pearle cotton at the corners of each block which are 9.5 inches. There is no batting, we are using fleece on the backing.

carhop 11-10-2010 11:45 AM

I would buy something on line that is how I got on line with Joans

thequiltmama 11-10-2010 11:49 AM

Then the distance won't matter if you are using fleece on the back...at least not the ones I have done. I have used both but yarn frays more than floss. But when I use floss I use a double layer. Hope this helps and I think it will look perfect no matter what you use.

Originally Posted by Patched
I am planning on using pearle cotton at the corners of each block which are 9.5 inches. There is no batting, we are using fleece on the backing.

:thumbup: