Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   tying quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tying-quilts-t154657.html)

mnmgirl 09-21-2011 09:00 AM

Good morning....... I just wanted to know something. I have seen some beautiful quilts here, and am put to shame. I am a recent quilter, but my hands will not let me hand sew my quilts. I have tried to machine sew and it has ruined two quilts. So, I ended up tying my quilts. I have 7 quilts that are tyed.,and they came out fine. I would like to know how yall feel about tying them. I just feel inadequate about sewing them and i can't afford to have them quilted. So please give me some feedback......I will post pics soon..

grayma 09-21-2011 09:03 AM

I have tied several and really like how they turned out. I too am not very good at machine or hand quilting and cannot afford to send every one of them out to be quilted.

cassiemae 09-21-2011 09:05 AM

Hi:
Personally I don't see anything wrong with tying a quilt.
It is everyones preference how to finish the quilt. On my very first quilt I hand tied it and now I hand quilt except for the borders and I machine quilt them. Just do what you can do and makes you feel good. :thumbup:

Lori S 09-21-2011 09:05 AM

Tied Quilts are fine... I have been known to machine tack many a quilt ... I like machine tacking better than tieing.

bluteddi 09-21-2011 09:07 AM

I don't have a problem with hand tyed quilts. It's a matter of personal tastes and available $$..

Nothing to feel inadequate about.... you do what u can do..... a hand tyed quilt reminds me of all the quilts my grandmothers and great grandmonthers made that I slept under growing up... brings back alot of good memories...

I'd love to see some of ur work...... I'm sure they are beautiful.....there is alot of great thigns to be said about " hand work"

blueangel 09-21-2011 09:07 AM

I have tied several quilts and see nothing wrong with it.

irishrose 09-21-2011 09:08 AM

If tying is what works for you, then go for it. Quilts have been were done that way for hundreds of years. Comments: not a fan of yarn - I don't think it washes well. Crochet cotton or embroidery floss is what I would use. In fact, I have a Trip Around the World tied on a bed in a guest room. I tied it on the back so there are no loose threads on the top.

Please do post pictures.

emsgranny 09-21-2011 09:08 AM

I have hand tied many a quilt - I havent learned to do my own machine quilting yet but during the winter months I plan on practicing my fmq techniques. I dont know how to machine tack - that sounds like a great idea!!

mnmgirl 09-21-2011 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Tied Quilts are fine... I have been known to machine tack many a quilt ... I like machine tacking better than tieing.

How do you do this? What stitch is for tacking? Maybe I could try this, lol..maybe

mnmgirl 09-21-2011 09:10 AM

I use embroidery thread to tye. I also tye on the front or back, depending on the pattern of the quilt. Thanks for all the suggestions. Will post pics soon.. Makes me feel better, made me smile.....