Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: tying quilts

Good morning....... I just wanted to know something. I have seen some beautiful quilts here, and am put to shame. I am a recent quilter, but my hands will not let me hand sew my quilts. I have tried to machine sew and it has ruined two quilts. So, I ended up tying my quilts. I have 7 quilts that are tyed.,and they came out fine. I would like to know how yall feel about tying them. I just feel inadequate about sewing them and i can't afford to have them quilted. So please give me some feedback......I will post pics soon..

I have tied several and really like how they turned out. I too am not very good at machine or hand quilting and cannot afford to send every one of them out to be quilted.

Hi:
    Personally I don't see anything wrong with tying a quilt.
    It is everyones preference how to finish the quilt. On my very first quilt I hand tied it and now I hand quilt except for the borders and I machine quilt them. Just do what you can do and makes you feel good. :thumbup:

Tied Quilts are fine... I have been known to machine tack many a quilt ... I like machine tacking better than tieing.

I don't have a problem with hand tyed quilts. It's a matter of personal tastes and available $$..

Nothing to feel inadequate about.... you do what u can do..... a hand tyed quilt reminds me of all the quilts my grandmothers and great grandmonthers made that I slept under growing up... brings back alot of good memories...

I'd love to see some of ur work...... I'm sure they are beautiful.....there is alot of great thigns to be said about " hand work"

I have tied several quilts and see nothing wrong with it.

Blog Entries
    If tying is what works for you, then go for it. Quilts have been were done that way for hundreds of years. Comments: not a fan of yarn - I don't think it washes well. Crochet cotton or embroidery floss is what I would use. In fact, I have a Trip Around the World tied on a bed in a guest room. I tied it on the back so there are no loose threads on the top.

Please do post pictures.

Blog Entries
    I have hand tied many a quilt - I havent learned to do my own machine quilting yet but during the winter months I plan on practicing my fmq techniques. I dont know how to machine tack - that sounds like a great idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    Tied Quilts are fine... I have been known to machine tack many a quilt ... I like machine tacking better than tieing.

How do you do this? What stitch is for tacking? Maybe I could try this, lol..maybe

I use embroidery thread to tye. I also tye on the front or back, depending on the pattern of the quilt. Thanks for all the suggestions. Will post pics soon.. Makes me feel better, made me smile.....

The style of some quilts just looks better when they're tied instead of machine or hand quilted-- there is no shame in that and I'm sure your quilts are GORGEOUS!!

Take care,
    Marcia

Blog Entries
    there is certainly nothing wrong with tied quilts! if that is how you want to finish them it is perfectly acceptable- as for learning to machine quilt your own- you need to practice- on small items (such as pot holders or placemats) and as you become more comfortable and happy with your quilting you can work up to larger projects after some practice you will find your self quilting quilts in no time. but tied are just fine too

Blog Entries
    I have done both on many quilts. If tying your quilts is what you car comfortable with then do it that way. You made them and the choice of finishing is yours too.

I have done a couple tyed myself. My mother use to do that a lot.

I have tied a lot of quilts and like the way they came out. Also, started with stitch in the ditch quilting and now branching out a bit. More than likely you have not "ruined" your 2 quilts. Just that since you are up close doing the quilting you are not as happy with the results as you thought you would be. It does take practice. My first stitch in the ditch was a baby "I Spy" using hexagons. In my opinion it was horrible, almost did not give it to the family, turned out it is his favorite blanket. I have found, washing the quilt also helps.

I have been to shows where I looked up close at their work and found not all of them are as perfect up close than at a distance of 6 feet.

Just do what you think looks best - we are in this for fun, and creative expression.

I've tied tons of my quilts. Nothing wrong with it. Just make sure you use a square knot and all is fine.

I don't do any hand sewing at all because it aggravates the nerves in my hands/arms. I machine stitch everything-even the binding front and back-and don't send quilts out. I haven't tried to tie a quilt yet because not sure how to do it but want to learn sometime. I've been looking at techniques that let you 'tie' it with your machine. You have to do what is comfortable for YOU!

Hand tie away!! It doesn't take anything away from the usability of the quilt.

I've tied a couple and used different color embroidery floss, perle cotton and yarns to get different effects.

Just be careful that your batting is suitable for tying.

Blog Entries
    I hand-quilted one quilt, it took me forever,. And that was before I had arthritis in my hands. I asked my daughter , when I was finished piecing her Grandmothers fan quilt, if she wanted it hand quilted or tied. She didn't care one bit how it was done, she just wanted the pretty quilt top. Since anymore quilts I make will be made for my children or grandchildren, I will be tying them. Making quits for show is nothing I care about doing. I used Perle cotton thread, tight square knots and about 3/4 inch tails.

Quote Originally Posted by mnmgirl
    Good morning....... I just wanted to know something. I have seen some beautiful quilts here, and am put to shame. I am a recent quilter, but my hands will not let me hand sew my quilts. I have tried to machine sew and it has ruined two quilts. So, I ended up tying my quilts. I have 7 quilts that are tyed.,and they came out fine. I would like to know how yall feel about tying them. I just feel inadequate about sewing them and i can't afford to have them quilted. So please give me some feedback......I will post pics soon..
    I used to hand quilt all my quilts. Loved doing it. Tried machine quilting, did 2, will never do another! I now tye for the same reasons you do. I use embordery floss. I tyed the GFG in my avaitar. Used floss to match each fabric. Have another that needs to be tyed. I do so admire machine quilting, and hand quilting, but you have to do what works your you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    What is machine tacking? I would like to know because I plan on tieing one in the near future

I've never tied a quilt, but I LOVE the way it looks! If I ever get around to making one for myself that's how I'll do it.

As for machine stitching, practice practice practice. Nobody is a pro at it the first couple of times out!

Blog Entries
    I love tied quilts. One of my favorite quilts is a trip around the world that I tied with yarn in each corner.

My GMIL hand tied a quilt for my husband and I before we were married. It is still the quilt I grab for a nap. It is so snuggly and it makes me think of her. I treasure it.

i hand quilt, machine quilt and tie depending on the individual quilt. while in my mind, a tied quilt is a "comforter", I don't think the method of finishing determines whether or not it is a "quilt". I think of a tied quilt as being puffy and snugglier, but thats just me.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast