Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tying quilts with sewing machine

Blog Entries

Tying quilts with sewing machine

This is probably old news. But I just recently started using my button sewing option on my machine to tack my donation quilts. Doesn't take as much time as hand tying, and I hope it is just as secure.

That's how I used to do it before I got my long arm. I still have one that's endured multiple washing & dryings. It's very secure. No blisters that way....
    Last edited by Justquilting; 01-04-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Do what you want...Love what you do!!

Blog Entries
    DUH. Seems too simple. Maybe that's why I never thought of it. Ha, Ha. Great idea.

Blog Entries
    last summer, when i was helping my aunt make her quilt, i tried to convince her to use that method. no go, though. she loves the look of yarn ties.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

how wouuld sewing over the thread work?

A friend of mine didn't even use the button sewing stitch. She just zigzagged a few stitches, going back and forth so it knotted. I only saw her do it on one scrappy 9 patch. It wasn't my favorite way but on that scrappy it looked ok.

Blog Entries
    Well, not my favorite either, but I got done fast. Most of the time it's SID, or free motion.

I've machine tied a quilt before using one repeat of a decorative stitch. Worked great & the quilt has held up really well.

Blog Entries
    I did one with the tiny circle stitch once. i just put some circles on a blouse today too. just for something different and to hold down the facing a bit too.

I have used several decrative stitches, the *, the () (filled in), the little flowers, etc. I have had no problem with the stitches come loose. I have never hand tied a quilt.
    MaryB

Quote Originally Posted by maryb44662 View Post
    I have used several decrative stitches, the *, the () (filled in), the little flowers, etc. I have had no problem with the stitches come loose. I have never hand tied a quilt.
    I've done this on Quillows and baby quilts (the drag-around ones). I use the *, flower, duck, etc. It's cute and does beat the blistered fingers.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I did one with the tiny circle stitch once. i just put some circles on a blouse today too. just for something different and to hold down the facing a bit too.
    That's how I did a baby quilt. I didn't want even small amounts of thread or anything hanging there for a baby to put in his/her mouth. The little circles just added to the design (if you looked closely enough!).

I've done this with a stitch selection on my machine that was something like a 'tack' stitch. It worked but not beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Never thought of using the duckies or other things! Now I have to make another quilt to try this on! This one was for a male, so just used the button thing.

Power Poster
    Have used this method for quilting also because it does go fast. We all have our personal favorite way of doing things.

Z

Tying quilts with sewing machine

You can lay a piece of yarn or ribbon underneath where you zigzag to fasten it down and then tie the ends like you would tie it regularly, in a knot or bow or whatever. A six inch piece of yarn or ribbon is easy to tie however you want it.

My machine has some decorate stitches and I used to do a little flower on little girl baby quilts.

Blog Entries
    I have done this for years, back before I even considered myself a quilter. I made my DGKs flannel "blankets" and I would use one of the fancy stitches on my machine, setting it for one single motif. I still have some of those blankets here from my 21 year old DGS when he was a baby, and they stay better than the hand-tied ones I did.

I tied a wall hanging white on white wedding quilt once. I put small white satin bows on that way. The bows really added to the quilt . The hard part was making the tiny bows. I really enjoyed tying that way.

When I "machine tack" my quilts, it's more like stitching in the ditch, but just for a half an inch or so. I learned this from my niece about 15 years ago. It's almost invisible. I just stitch in the ditch for 3 or 4 stitches, back stitch 4 or 5 stitches and then go ahead another 3 or 4 stitches. None of that has ever come out. It's fun and fast and durable.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I saw on a previous post a while back that you can put the yarn down and use the sewing machine to tack it down as well.

I, too, have use a decorative stitch to tie a quilt. It was a small quilt but it worked great. Used the butterfly stitch.

Great idea. Thanks for posting it.

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Maggiemay View Post
    I've machine tied a quilt before using one repeat of a decorative stitch. Worked great & the quilt has held up really well.
    I like that idea - will give it a try.

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

Blog Entries
    I Have used the CAMBRIDGE system, with my machine to tack quilts .It is a paper pattern in shapes like hearts, diamonds etc. with hole for sewing. just pin to your quilt and do a tack stitch in each hole, then cut the thread tails off and you are done, Can reuse the pattern over and over. makes a neat look.. dont remember where I got it , but think it was a quilt show in FL. CMARAS
    "I do not understand ,how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to" ( and mine is my summer houseboat on a beautiful KY lake.) quote by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast