Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tying Quilts >

Tying Quilts

Tying Quilts

Old 06-22-2010, 06:06 AM

I have never tied a quilt, but I have made a top for my DGD and it is squares of flannel and chenille. Afraid machine quilting would flatten it too much. I think tying would be easy, but not sure how to do it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:11 AM

I would quilt the flannel blocks and tie the chenille. I use a large needle and yarn. The ties should be no more than 5 or 6" apart at the most. I've used quilting and tying together on quilts with excellent results. Flannel is usually less dense and will pull apart after several washings when it's tied. I'd quilt it about 1/4" in from the seam line. It depends on the pattern you've used but I tie in the center of the blocks--less bulk to go throw. Also you might want to get some rubber fingers or rubber gloves to help pull the needle through.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:15 AM

Everything "raptureready" said, I agree. The rubber fingers
for sure. Wish you much success.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

lots of people use pearl cotton to tie their quilts...i was taught that a hand width apart is the spacing, a big needle...i had not heard anyone having a problem with their flannel falling apart with a few washings...i have grandchildren with flannel quilts 10+ years old been washed thousands of times and i have not had to do any mending...so that part has me puzzled...maybe used homespuns, not flannnel? or could just depend on where the flannel comes from, like with all fabric, not all is created equal. i spend alot of money on flannels, the most expensive quilts i make, but they are worth it, they get softer/fluffier everytime they get washed. did you pre-wash your flannels? if so, were they very limp/thin after, or are they thicker/softer? you will have to decide if they need to be quilted or should hold up to tying.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:21 AM

I tie often. Much prefer pearl cotton or embrodery floss to yarn. Seems the yarn balls up when washed, also I have made holes in fabric when pulliny yarn thru. Be sure to use sq. knot. I tie fairly close together. Depending on the quilt design of cours. Good luck
Old 06-22-2010, 07:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by betsymjeff
I have never tied a quilt, but I have made a top for my DGD and it is squares of flannel and chenille. Afraid machine quilting would flatten it too much. I think tying would be easy, but not sure how to do it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Have always used man made wool, looks attractive and won't break/shrink/leak colour.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:12 PM

Thanks all. I finally decided to try to just quilt it on my sewing machine. Since the blocks are randomly placed, the chenille was not always in the same place. Does that make sense??? Anyway, I just did a crosshatch and it looks pretty good. I got it all done and the binding on today. YEA!!!!! Now I can give it to my GD for her birthday on Sunday.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:14 PM

pictures please
Old 06-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Google Goddess

awesome, please post a picture for us for show and tell

Originally Posted by betsymjeff
Thanks all. I finally decided to try to just quilt it on my sewing machine. Since the blocks are randomly placed, the chenille was not always in the same place. Does that make sense??? Anyway, I just did a crosshatch and it looks pretty good. I got it all done and the binding on today. YEA!!!!! Now I can give it to my GD for her birthday on Sunday.