Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   U.B.E.'s (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/u-b-e-s-t203467.html)

jbj137 10-19-2012 06:32 AM

Never waste anything, especially a Quilt Block
Please DO NOT throw them away.

JUSTFLYIN's quilt is very nice.

I would love to have them (if they are FREE).

I will do something with them.

J J

KathyKat 10-19-2012 06:57 AM

Justflyingin: I think that quilt is looking pretty good! What a great way to use your orphan and partial blocks!

Pzazz 10-19-2012 07:25 AM

I can relate to the unliked race quilt. I did one as well that I didn't like the way some of the strips looked next to each other. I cut across the strips at 8 1/2", then unsewed at 8 1/2" intervals...making 8 1/2" blocks. Next I was off to my local quilt shop and found a colour to pick up a colour that was constant thru' all the strips, made sashing and a border. I loved the end result!!! So, if you liked the strips to start with, play with it some and you may be pleasantly surprised at how easily you can turn a dislike into a like. :)

Patti

solongrandma 10-19-2012 07:29 AM

When I was half finished with my QAYG and hated it, I put it away and a couple of months later got it out, cut it up and made a table runner and placemats, and I love them. Who knew?

leighway 10-19-2012 07:31 AM

Your quilt is a hoot!! Very very "interesting." It makes me happy.

wildyard 10-19-2012 09:27 AM

It makes me so sad to think of blocks being thrown away when so many of us make quilts to donate to various causes and could put them to very good use.
I work hard to get fabric at low prices so I can afford to donate my quilts on my income of SSDisability. I spend hours deconstructing thrift store finds to save money. So to see someone say they throw away perfectly good quilt blocks really makes me, and I'm sure many others, cringe.
Please rethink this policy and consider sharing them with those of us who will pay them forward as comfort quilts.
Hugsssss and smilessssss

gollytwo 10-19-2012 09:40 AM

I have them stored in 2 boxes (one for small 6" and smaller, the other for larger)
When someone in my sewing group needs a block - they get one

I've also occasionally sent to Board members who are making soldiers' quilts.

soccertxi 10-19-2012 09:47 AM

I have a "Home for Orphan blocks". After Christmas I am going to start an 'Everything AND the Kitchen sink" quilt. I even found fabric with a kitchen sink in it!

quiltingnonie 10-19-2012 12:48 PM

I have a whole bin of those wayward blocks....keep saying I am gonna put them together, but just too boring for me. I should just donate them.

jaly3162 10-19-2012 05:25 PM

I went through a tote just yesterday that had misc. blocks in it I've been saving thinking I could do a sampler quilt, but decided there are so many other quilts and thing I want to make to waste my time to make something I would be so embarrassed for anyone to see so I threw them away and that is what I am going to do from now on. I do have a quilt that I have about half of it quilted and I am going to cut it up and serge around it (king size) and donate it to the animal shelter.