Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: U.B.E.'s

Red face U.B.E.'s

I know I'm not the only one who has amassed some single quilt blocks - the ones that just don't quite work so you set it aside because God Forbid we throw anything out!

I did a jelly roll race quilt, and decided I didn't like the colors chosen, or the way they fell together, and hated it so much I just folded it and put it away, thinking that maybe perhaps someday (yeah, right), I would cut it in half and have 2 donation baby quilts.

However, I've instead decided to take all of my homeless blocks and combine them into one big Ugliest Blanket Ever (called UBE, which rhymes with ruby).

I have 2 projects to finish before beginning on this, and as I type, I just remembered 2 more projects in the queue (every time my Pastor mentions to take care of the Man of God first, I always remember his quilt that's not even done yet after 2 years...

So I don't know when my UBE will become the truly ugliest blanket ever, but am I the only one with this idea? What do you do with your unpurposed blocks?
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

Blog Entries
    When I make a block I don't care for I put in the orphan block bin. When I need a fast utility quilt, I sash the blocks with a solid color. I always think the quilt looks pretty good when I'm done.
    Got fabric?

Our guild made a car cover (actually a van cover) with leftover blocks. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...rs-t22705.html

I throw them away, along with small scraps of fabric, and empty spools and other sewing stuff.

I have a whole sack full of UBE's. Was just looking at them this weekend wondering what I could do with them...guess it could be a "sampler" quilt...LOL ...

Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot View Post
    I know I'm not the only one who has amassed some single quilt blocks - the ones that just don't quite work so you set it aside because God Forbid we throw anything out!

I did a jelly roll race quilt, and decided I didn't like the colors chosen, or the way they fell together, and hated it so much I just folded it and put it away, thinking that maybe perhaps someday (yeah, right), I would cut it in half and have 2 donation baby quilts.

However, I've instead decided to take all of my homeless blocks and combine them into one big Ugliest Blanket Ever (called UBE, which rhymes with ruby).

I have 2 projects to finish before beginning on this, and as I type, I just remembered 2 more projects in the queue (every time my Pastor mentions to take care of the Man of God first, I always remember his quilt that's not even done yet after 2 years...

So I don't know when my UBE will become the truly ugliest blanket ever, but am I the only one with this idea? What do you do with your unpurposed blocks?
    Yep. That's what I'm doing with my QAYG quilt. You will see half of a star block, many halves of bento boxes, various 9 patches, some paper piecing practicing (I couldn't throw them away--horrors!) and some various leftover blocks (like the patriotic baskets). I decided to just add fabric around them to make them about 16" square and then trim them wonky. It's not particularly pretty, but it will be just as warm and while not PRETTY, it's "INTERESTING". It would have been esp. interesting if I had done interesting quilting. But I'm just getting to that....in my skills set.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Wow very interesting. I guess I know what to do with all the blocks I have piled up now. Thanks for sharing.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Our guild made a car cover (actually a van cover) with leftover blocks. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...rs-t22705.html
    That is so cute!
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I think your quilt looks really great!

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    Yep. That's what I'm doing with my QAYG quilt. You will see half of a star block, many halves of bento boxes, various 9 patches, some paper piecing practicing (I couldn't throw them away--horrors!) and some various leftover blocks (like the patriotic baskets). I decided to just add fabric around them to make them about 16" square and then trim them wonky. It's not particularly pretty, but it will be just as warm and while not PRETTY, it's "INTERESTING". It would have been esp. interesting if I had done interesting quilting. But I'm just getting to that....in my skills set.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Blog Entries
    I would try and see if you can locate a copy of "Setting Solutions" by Sharyn Craig.
    This is one of my favorites. It has innovative ways of setting a bunch of disparate blocks to make it look like that's what you planned all along. It also has ideas on setting blocks that didn't all turn out the same size, such as thoseyou may have received in a block exchange.

http://www.amazon.com/Setting-Soluti...s=sharyn+craig
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Your UBE might surprise you and become a gem after all. My blocks will come in handy when I want to practice FMQ. Not sure if it will be a QAYG or just a bunch of scrappy block sandwiches. Who knows, those might become potholders.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I put mine in the closet in The Box That Shall Never Be Opened. I love the covered car--I probably have enough to cover a city bus!
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Blog Entries
    I take orphans and put them randomly on the backs of quilts for extra surprise

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    You know, I don't have any orphan blocks. None. I don't know why people do. I only make as many as needed. I guess I should make a couple extra on every quilt and then I could have enough to make a couple of sampler type quilts at the end. Good idea!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    This is realy funny. My board name is UBE!
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I have started making hand bags from my orphan blocks. I've sold several.
    ~Laura

Could sew them all together and call it an "I Spy" quilt for quilters. LOL "I Spy" a log cabin block, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
    I really like this idea!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    I love your quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
    This is really a great idea. Mine tend to end up as potholders and make wonderful gifts - especially for non-quilters - after a FMQ practice run.

Blog Entries
    I have sent mine to a board member that puts them together with other "orphan blocks" and she makes quilts for returning veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltyfeelings View Post
    I have started making hand bags from my orphan blocks. I've sold several.
    Good idea.

I made a tote bag with one, and my church lady friends and I are making walker bags/wheelchair bags.
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

Blog Entries
    Mine are all in a bag in the closet just waiting on me to throw in the next one. Someday, I'll take them all out. Organize them in such a manner that I'll have a giant Dear Jane. hehehehe!!!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
    I throw them away, along with small scraps of fabric, and empty spools and other sewing stuff.
    ????? THROW THEM AWAY????? Oh Wow! I even have problems throwing away small scraps! I am better at that now since our guild encourages us to use them in beds for the pet shelters!....but a whole block? Or blocks? I just couldn't do that!
    Life happens...and we react...

That's not half bad! It will be just as warm and cozy as any other quilt you've made.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast