Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: U.B.E.'s

There is a book called "Setting Solutions" by Sharyn Craig that offers a lot of possibilities. It is on Amazon with a "look inside" feature.
    http://www.amazon.com/Setting-Soluti...I1X8OVULIC1P4E
    I was able to check out a copy from my local library.
    Pat

I used a lot of my extra blocks to make bedroom curtains.
    Dirty1mom
    Cleveland, OH

I think that quilt is pretty. Looks like a scrappy to me. It will still be warm whether you think it is ugly or not.
    I only have a few orphan blocks, not enough to do anything with, yet.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

You can always bind them and make mug rugs... Don't much care for the sampler look, myself.

For that jelly roll race top that didn't pan out, you can cut it on the diagonal, or in strips running perpendicular to the fabric strips, and then piece it back together in interesting ways. Lovely diamond shapes can be created from diagonal cuts, or bargello from the perpendicular cuts.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    My Mother had an orphan block from nearly every quilt she made. My sister appliqued them to a neuutral fabric backing and now has a beautiful memory quilt

Our United Methodist Women had a quilt display at a recent tea. I made pot holders from my orphan blocks and they were given as door prizes.
    Rosemary

I used them to decorate some of my reuseable grocery bags. Get quite a few questions like "where did you get that"?

Blog Entries
    I love orphan blocks. I always create some to try out a new technique or to have teaching samples. They never go to waste, as most of them wind up as tote bags. Please send me your unwanted orphans!!
    Stephanie in Mena

Blog Entries
    You could always use them to have an 'orphan block swap' with your guild!
    Stephanie in Mena

Some one in my first learn to quilt class had a suggestion (I don't think it was the instructor) that I've used over the years. If you are trying a block for size or technique or anything but color, use colors you really like or CHRISTMAS colors - you can never have too many Christmas quilts! I've sashed for sizing and placement, done set in triangles etc. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of Christmas quilts -- but I've got a couple of tops in red, green, white, gold etc.

QM
    mine go into scrappy quilts. Sometimes I chop them up first and put a segment into each of several blocks. some go into potholders. One of my favorite purses was from 2 very different orphan blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
    I throw them away, along with small scraps of fabric, and empty spools and other sewing stuff.
    Nooooo, some one could use them!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    Yep. That's what I'm doing with my QAYG quilt. You will see half of a star block, many halves of bento boxes, various 9 patches, some paper piecing practicing (I couldn't throw them away--horrors!) and some various leftover blocks (like the patriotic baskets). I decided to just add fabric around them to make them about 16" square and then trim them wonky. It's not particularly pretty, but it will be just as warm and while not PRETTY, it's "INTERESTING". It would have been esp. interesting if I had done interesting quilting. But I'm just getting to that....in my skills set.
    I really like your quilt...
    Kitty

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I just save mine and then one day something comes to my pea brain and I make a quilt using some of the blocks ..
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Luthern World Relief is collecting quilting items and completed quilts for those in need. You can just call a Luthern church for more information.

Blog Entries
    Never waste anything, especially a Quilt Block
    Please DO NOT throw them away.

JUSTFLYIN's quilt is very nice.

I would love to have them (if they are FREE).

I will do something with them.

J J
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Justflyingin: I think that quilt is looking pretty good! What a great way to use your orphan and partial blocks!
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

I can relate to the unliked race quilt. I did one as well that I didn't like the way some of the strips looked next to each other. I cut across the strips at 8 1/2", then unsewed at 8 1/2" intervals...making 8 1/2" blocks. Next I was off to my local quilt shop and found a colour to pick up a colour that was constant thru' all the strips, made sashing and a border. I loved the end result!!! So, if you liked the strips to start with, play with it some and you may be pleasantly surprised at how easily you can turn a dislike into a like.

Patti
    A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

Blog Entries
    When I was half finished with my QAYG and hated it, I put it away and a couple of months later got it out, cut it up and made a table runner and placemats, and I love them. Who knew?

Your quilt is a hoot!! Very very "interesting." It makes me happy.

It makes me so sad to think of blocks being thrown away when so many of us make quilts to donate to various causes and could put them to very good use.
    I work hard to get fabric at low prices so I can afford to donate my quilts on my income of SSDisability. I spend hours deconstructing thrift store finds to save money. So to see someone say they throw away perfectly good quilt blocks really makes me, and I'm sure many others, cringe.
    Please rethink this policy and consider sharing them with those of us who will pay them forward as comfort quilts.
    Hugsssss and smilessssss
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Banned
    I have them stored in 2 boxes (one for small 6" and smaller, the other for larger)
    When someone in my sewing group needs a block - they get one

I've also occasionally sent to Board members who are making soldiers' quilts.

I have a "Home for Orphan blocks". After Christmas I am going to start an 'Everything AND the Kitchen sink" quilt. I even found fabric with a kitchen sink in it!
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

I have a whole bin of those wayward blocks....keep saying I am gonna put them together, but just too boring for me. I should just donate them.
    To QUILT is human.
    To FINISH is divine.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...4369F3FA17.png

Blog Entries
    I went through a tote just yesterday that had misc. blocks in it I've been saving thinking I could do a sampler quilt, but decided there are so many other quilts and thing I want to make to waste my time to make something I would be so embarrassed for anyone to see so I threw them away and that is what I am going to do from now on. I do have a quilt that I have about half of it quilted and I am going to cut it up and serge around it (king size) and donate it to the animal shelter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast