Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ugly Fabric Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ugly-fabric-challenge-t286885.html)

aborning 03-19-2017 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 7786652)
this was done from a swap with fabric sent to everyone participating. I won all the blocks. My granddtr now has it.

Nativetexan, l like that quilt.

aborning 03-19-2017 12:32 PM

Great idea, QuiltnLady1. I actually have that pattern. I could also cut the squares into 2" pieces so that they are smaller.

aborning 03-19-2017 12:42 PM

You all have great ideas. I am thinking about a scrappy rail fence quilt with the strips cut narrow, or a scrappy jelly roll race quilt. I need to make something quick as I work full time and quilt for customers.

brendadawg 03-19-2017 01:01 PM

Remember....I think it was Bonnie Hunter who said there's no such thing as ugly fabric -- you just haven't cut the pieces small enough....or something along that line. But my guild had a similar thing with just on fq, and that fabric was so bad I don't think I could have shredded it and made it ok! 🙊

mopec 03-19-2017 01:30 PM

And I would have thought that piece was beautiful! :)

Originally Posted by osewme (Post 7786583)
Does it have to be a quilt that is made? I had what I thought was an ugly piece of fabric & I made a rope bowl from it. The bowl didn't look anything like the unfinished piece of fabric. I was very pleased with it. The bowl is made from cotton clothes line rope.

thrums 03-19-2017 01:53 PM

I was in a regular FQ swap once and thought I had the ugliest fabric in the group. I was so disappointed. But once I cut the FQs up I was surprised at what I could do with them. I made a patch-work tote with HSQ in the mix. It wasn't for me, but the lady I gave it to just loved it.

So even if you your finished throw to your liking, you can always gift it. Good luck and have fun!

ArtsyOne 03-19-2017 02:37 PM

I put this challenge to myself a while back and used my ugliest fabrics (mostly from garage sale grab bags, so I never would have bought them myself) to make a strip quilt. It turned out gorgeous! Everyone who sees it says that the individual strips are indeed ugly, but seen as a whole it's a lovely quilt. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

aborning 03-19-2017 04:29 PM

ArtsyOne, was your strip quilt like the Jelly Roll Race?

aborning 03-19-2017 04:33 PM

I just b ought the 6 1/2" and the 4 1/2" Tumbler dies for my Accuquilt GO. I think I am going to use the 4 1/2" Tumbler die to make the quilt and put a bunch of other fabrics with it. It seems that I like every scrappy tumbler quilt that I see on Pinterest. And I will be able to cut the fabrics quickly.

petpainter 03-20-2017 04:04 AM

if you do a small pineapple with a Creative grid template they are charming with scrappy fabric and look like you did a lot of work. I'm making one today with a friend that didn't want to take the class alone- when I looked at a utube video I was
pleasantly surprised!