Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ugly Fabric Challenge

Ugly Fabric Challenge

Ladies, I need your help. Our Quilt Guild is having an Ugly Fabric Challenge. We all need to bring a yard of "ugly" fabric that we cut it into 4 Fat Quarters. Then we will get 4 other fat quarters (they will all be different). Then we need to make something using the majority of the "ugly" fat quarters. We can add other fabrics. I would like to make a throw quilt but am thinking it should be something with small pieces. I would appreciate ideas (and pictures) from you all

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! What is ugly to some is lovely to others. Perhaps the fabrics you end up with will be nicer than you anticipate. Chances of 4 different "ugly" fq's coordinating are slim, though.

Are you committed to a "quilt"? A couple of things that are very forgiving and would use up fq's quickly are chenille potholders; they are relatively quick and easy. There are scads of examples and instructional tutorials on Pinterest.

Another non-quilt option would be a rope/clothesline basket. Again, there lots of info on Pinterest. I know some folks object to them b/c of the raw edges that do ravel a bit. I once saw a demo where the strips were folded in half first, with the raw edge always covered by the folded edge being wound over it. Possibly Alex Anderson showed it?

If you do go with a quilt, it is said that if it's still ugly, you haven't cut it small enough. Combined with a background fabric, ugly scrappy quilts can be beautiful. Bonnie Hunter has lots of free patterns available on her website, quiltville.com. Or strip sew some 4 or 9 patches and combine with a neutral block of same size, or a snowballed block. With scrappy quilts so popular right now, I'm sure you can find lots of examples online that would be fairly easy to make.

Quote Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
    ..........Perhaps the fabrics you end up with will be nicer than you anticipate. Chances of 4 different "ugly" fq's coordinating are slim, though........................
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    Unless the organizers of the events are sorting the turned in FQs to try to coordinate colours some?

I wouldn't fret about the pattern, until I saw the fabrics.
    Don't waste the energy until you know what you have!

Who knows, once you see your four, it may strike you right away, what you want to do with it.
    Or you may even say, no way I even want a throw out of those!

If not required to make a quilt .... 4 FQs easily make a lined tote!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I make log cabin quilts I throw everything in the mix. When it's cut into a 1" finished strip, you don't see ugly, just color.

One woman's ugly trash is another woman's treasure! I'd wait to see the fabrics before deciding, and maybe add a couple of fabrics that tie together the "uglies"colors, then choose a pattern from a Fat Quarter Quilts book.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

Blog Entries
    Wait till you get your fabrics before you even start thinking about it. What you plan on may change depending on them.

Share pictures of the fabrics when you get them. I will say, smaller is better when working with so called ugly fabric. Who knows, maybe you will love what you get.

Somebody send me four ugly fabrics! Haha, what fun it will be.

peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Does it have to be a quilt that is made? I had what I thought was an ugly piece of fabric & I made a rope bowl from it. The bowl didn't look anything like the unfinished piece of fabric. I was very pleased with it. The bowl is made from cotton clothes line rope.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by osewme View Post
    Does it have to be a quilt that is made? I had what I thought was an ugly piece of fabric & I made a rope bowl from it. The bowl didn't look anything like the unfinished piece of fabric. I was very pleased with it. The bowl is made from cotton clothes line rope.
    That's so cute, osewme!

Power Poster
    ​Bonnie Hunter's Scrappy Trips might work.

Blog Entries
    this was done from a swap with fabric sent to everyone participating. I won all the blocks. My granddtr now has it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nativetexan - that is beautiful! It definitely reminds me of a time when quilts were made with whatever fabric was to be had,rather than all the matching we do now! I love it!

Remember if fabric is still ugly it just isn't cut small enough.
    I'm a fan of scrappy strip quilts. My only criteria is that the same fabric can't be next to each other.
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    We did something similar in our guild. See my previous post at http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t283810.html
    Last edited by Gail B; 03-18-2017 at 02:30 PM.

osewme, that's exactly what I was referring to! It's a perfect example - I agree that the original fabric is less than beautiful. But the bowl - gorgeous!

Sorry, I can't remember who did it, but one of the ladies on here makes log cabins by piecing squares instead of strips for half of the block and white for the other half. Really pretty and the squares are small enough that you don't see a lot of the fabric, just the contrast.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I had a couple of ideas you could try... Use Texture Magic with one or more of the fabrics - you could even piece them first. Then use it as part of a bag. Also, you could try layering all of the fabric pieces and doing the fabric chenille technique. I think those would both look nice with just about any fabric.

If you have enough of a piece, you could make a kaleidascope quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    Sorry, I can't remember who did it, but one of the ladies on here makes log cabins by piecing squares instead of strips for half of the block and white for the other half. Really pretty and the squares are small enough that you don't see a lot of the fabric, just the contrast.
    That sounds like this tutorial: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...k-t275789.html

Blog Entries
    One persons ugly is often something others like. Make a scrappy quilt. The mystery quilts on here are great for scrappy projects. Also remember you can use the back of the fabric also. We were given ugly fabric a few years ago to use. I won the challenge. The back was a weird green color. I made a wall hanging and it made great colors in my garden. At first a couple of people (joking) accused me of cheating and not using enough of the ugly fabric. I used the whole piece, some of both sides.

Sorry I don't have a suggestion but I am enjoying seeing the ones others are giving.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    this was done from a swap with fabric sent to everyone participating. I won all the blocks. My granddtr now has it.
    Nativetexan, l like that quilt.

Great idea, QuiltnLady1. I actually have that pattern. I could also cut the squares into 2" pieces so that they are smaller.

You all have great ideas. I am thinking about a scrappy rail fence quilt with the strips cut narrow, or a scrappy jelly roll race quilt. I need to make something quick as I work full time and quilt for customers.

Remember....I think it was Bonnie Hunter who said there's no such thing as ugly fabric -- you just haven't cut the pieces small enough....or something along that line. But my guild had a similar thing with just on fq, and that fabric was so bad I don't think I could have shredded it and made it ok! 🙊

And I would have thought that piece was beautiful!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast