Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   UGLY quilt - can you relate? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ugly-quilt-can-you-relate-t227464.html)

mjhaess 08-08-2013 05:01 AM

I never worked on an ugly quilt. I would probably not finish it if I did not think it was pretty.

Tink's Mom 08-08-2013 05:03 AM

I use the ugly quilt as a donation quilt...One of mine thrilled a child in Alabama after the tornados last year.

kydeb 08-08-2013 05:09 AM

I have an "ugly" quilt on my longarm table right now. I make it for QFK out of some scrap fabric they had - not enough yardage to really do anything with but I was determined. I made it stripes and it was hideous! After looking and looking at it and thinking it was just too ugly, I decided to do what every quilter does with ugly fabric - I cut it apart. I ended up just cutting it down the length and sewing it back together with offset rows. I still don't like it but it did turn out to be a presentable quilt top that I think, once I add borders, some kid will be pleased with! Good luck!!

Rubesgirl 08-08-2013 05:09 AM

I made a top I thought would be beautiful. I loved the pattern, I carefully picked out the fabrics to be similar to the photograph of the quit, and cut it out and put it together. When I put the squares on my fabric wall, I thought it was ugly! I did put it together, hoping that once the square were put together properly they would "come together". It was still UGLY! (I even called it my Ugly Quilt!) I really, really tried to like it and tell myself that it would be beautiful when it was quilted. I hate to waste money or fabric, so I couldn't bring myself to throw it out, but couldn't move on until it was off the wall. I finally wrote about it on this Board and somone very kindly took it off my hands. I sent it to her with my blessing and good wishes (and ALL the scraps and leftovers). I am now so much more careful about what I decide to make and what fabrics I purchase. I'm so glad my UGLY was someone else's beautiful, and that I dont' have to feel guilty about not finishing something I really didn't like. :)

bearisgray 08-08-2013 05:15 AM

There is almost always someone willing to take an 'ugly' off one's hands - if one is willing to let it go.

BellaBoo 08-08-2013 05:27 AM

What is worse is being shown a quilt someone is making and it is ugly. Horrible colors, no contrast, cheap fabric. I want to be honest when they ask my opinion but I'd never hurt someone's feelings over a quilt.

LynnG 08-08-2013 05:29 AM

They land in my RV as utility quilts. So far I have 2 packed in there... with a third on its way. I also fold and stack them on a bench in my house for decoration around the holidays. Can't tell how ugly they are unless you unfold them.

EmiliasNana 08-08-2013 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by nygal (Post 6221175)
My "ugly" quilt top is one I made taking classes at Joann fabrics for a "Stack N Whack" quilt. I bought fabric at the last minute and they didn't have much to choose from and I disliked what I bought as I began cutting it out. It's mostly greens and yellows. I finished it all in three days and its been waiting to be quilting for about six years! You can view it in my profile under "my quilts". Can't miss it. lol

I don't think it is ugly at all. Quilted and bound it will be beautiful.

Emma S 08-08-2013 05:41 AM

My ugly quilts are my UFO's. This year I am trying to finish all of them, fourteen. My biggest problem is my skill level has improved greatly and some of these tops were clearly done by a rank amateur. I'm wading through but they just don't excite me. Good news is it gives me a lot of practice in FM.

feline fanatic 08-08-2013 05:54 AM

Absolutely! Go here for my ugly quilt story
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...rm-t77776.html

Moral of the story, Beauty is most definitely in the eyes of the beholder. So don't toss it, give the uncompleted top and any fabrics you have for it to someone who will finish it. They can gift it to charity or you may even have a friend who thinks it is beautiful, like I did. So you can finish it and gift it to them. Just because you think it is ugly doesn't mean everyone else will.